As a logged in user I can configure which notifications I receive by email

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
At the bottom of each notification mail it says:

You can disable these notifications by requesting an administrator to delete your account.

Eventually we need to address not being able to turn off notifications for emails for example to ignore notifications when a password item is updated.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Logged in users that don’t really care about email notifications.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Because receiving mails for each change might be a bit much.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
Create a section with email settings an allow each users to select which one they one to receive. The default for the organization will be set by the administrator.

ref: As a logged in user I can configure which notifications I receive by email · Issue #134 · passbolt/passbolt_api · GitHub

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)
0 voters

Admin update:
Email notification settings is available in CE and PRO version since v2.10, to allow administrators to control email notification settings at the organization level. We’re keeping this item in the backlog as the story is for individual users.

1 Like

Actually, the administrator configuration is undocumented (as far as I could find), but already possible:

in default.php:

// Email settings
        'email' => [
            // Additional email validation settings
            'validate' => [
                'mx' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_VALIDATE_MX', false), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
            ],

// Email delivery settings such as credentials are in app.php.
            // Allow to disable displaying the armored secret in the email.
            // WARNING: make sure you have backups in place if you disable these.
            // See. https://www.passbolt.com/help/tech/backup
            'show' => [
                'comment' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SHOW_COMMENT', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                'description' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SHOW_DESCRIPTION', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                'secret' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SHOW_SECRET', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                'uri' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SHOW_URI', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                'username' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SHOW_USERNAME', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
            ],
            // Choose which emails are sent system wide.
            'send' => [
                'comment' => [
                    'add' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_COMMENT_ADD', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN)
                ],
                'password' => [
                    'create' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_PASSWORD_CREATE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    'share' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_PASSWORD_SHARE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    'update' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_PASSWORD_UPDATE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    'delete' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_PASSWORD_DELETE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                ],
                'user' => [
                    // WARNING: disabling these will prevent user from signing up.
                    'create' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_USER_CREATE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    'recover' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_USER_RECOVER', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                ],
                'group' => [
                    // Notify all members that a group was deleted.
                    'delete' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_GROUP_DELETE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    'user' => [ // notify user group membership changes.
                        'add' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_GROUP_USER_ADD', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                        'delete' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_GROUP_USER_DELETE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                        'update' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_GROUP_USER_UPDATE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    ],
                    'manager' => [
                        // Notify manager when a group user is updated / deleted.
                        'update' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_GROUP_MANAGER_UPDATE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                        'delete' => filter_var(env('PASSBOLT_EMAIL_SEND_GROUP_MANAGER_DELETE', true), FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN),
                    ]
                ]
            ]
        ],

The per-user configuration is yet to be done. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a must. Also I think the current wording at the bottom of each email is a bit extreme :grin:

You can disable these notifications by requesting an administrator to delete your account.

Email notification settings is available in CE and PRO version since v2.10, to allow administrators to control email notification settings at the organization level. We’re keeping this item in the backlog as the story is for individual users.