As a user I can define url schemes that open the relevant desktop app

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
For an entry, being able to click and be connected automagically. We’re doing that in keepass nowadays, for example we make an SSH entry with Title = hostname, login & password, and URL field is

cmd://putty -load "Default Settings" {TITLE} -l {USERNAME} -pw {PASSWORD}

Which pass down the command “putty …”, so it opens putty connected with SSH. Same thing with FTP entry, title login & password, and the URL field

cmd://"C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe" sftp://{USERNAME}:{PASSWORD}@{TITLE}

Clic and you’re connected. Same for database connection, with an additionnal field, database ID, etc etc.

For my current company, and the previous one too, the n°1 feature of this kind of tool is storing password, the n°2 is the time you save starting Putty / Filezilla / sqldeveloper / whatever, copy-paste login, copy-paste password, copy-paste hostname…

It may be achieved as I hinted with ssh://, ftp://, custom:// URI and OS integration or any way you might think of if you go for this feature request

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Users with advanced needs

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Ease of use, productivity.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
Example of ssh:// link

ref. https://github.com/passbolt/passbolt_api/issues/9

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

Hey,

Any news about this?

This feature would be awesome!!! I totally need this!

I have no idea how this is handled in windows, but the browser or a plugin is and should never be able to directly issue commands to a terminal.
And especially should passbolt (or any password store) never pass credentials in clear-text via such an insecure mechanism.

This seems like trying to solve platform-specific limitations at the wrong (application) end.

As for the examples: FTP is dead and SSH (and SFTP/SCP) should be used with ssh-keys.

2 Likes

Hi!
Any news about this?