Desktop Application (Mac/Windows) - with browser extension encryption done in the app

i hope the LINUX version too :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

First alpha version is out for windows:

We’ll move to other OS (Mac/Linux) once we’ve made more progress on this one. Currently, according the stats we have on webstores, 70% of passbolt users are on windows, so this is why the priority was given to the windows platform.

1 Like

I am reaching out because I noticed the title of this thread has been changed. Initially, it was titled “Desktop Application (Mac/Windows)” and now it seems to be marked as “Done!”
However, the Mac application is not yet available, and the Windows application is not yet on the stores.

I was the one who created this topic because I am directly impacted by the lack of support for Mac and the need for a more secure desktop application that works in tandem with the browser extensions.
(I am speaking about the big shift of architectures.)
This topic has drawn a lot of attention on the forum, gathering over 24k views.
I also think that a majority of people who found this thread are likely Mac users who were already searching for the Safari extension, and found this topic as well.

That’s why I respectfully ask you to restore the original title “Desktop Application (Mac/Windows)” , and at least change the status to something more representative of the current state of the development. For instance, marking it as “In Progress” would be more accurate given that the development is still ongoing.

I appreciate your understanding in advance and look forward to seeing the Mac and Windows applications available on the stores.

Best regards,

1 Like

Ok since this is unlikely to be done as per your requirements, I split the tickets into three and updated this thread ticket.

1 Like

Hi !

Will it be possible to store passphrase and unlock passbolt with fingerprint ? Like it is done on mobile app ?

If yes, will it be possible to unlock the extension with fingerprint if desktop app installed ?

Cheers,

The initial goal is to support this flow in the desktop application using the OS functionalities if they are present (microsoft hello, ios keyring, linux I don’t know). Then we can consider integration between the app and the browser extension. My experience with Mailvelope, these kind of integrations are brittle and thus create a lot of support requests.

We’re considering another method to enable biometric unlock on the desktop, using webauthn PRF extension. Explainer: PRF extension · w3c/webauthn Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Do you have any information about Mac development?
We are really excited about this full integration.

It is certain that features such as biometrics or encryption in a heavy desktop application must be taken into consideration. It is certain that it will add more security credit to Passbolt.

1 Like

The PRF extension in the context of WebAuthn does not specifically mention biometric authentication. The extension primarily focuses on utilizing security keys (physical devices) and generating pseudo-random functions (PRFs) for encryption purposes.

PRF could be implemented for encryption purposes following the biometric authentication process in Passbolt to unlock the vault.
However, you will still need the native Biometry Support (Mac Touch ID, Face ID/ Windows Hello Fingerprint, Face)

As a Windows and Mac user myself, I am also excited to see advancements in Safari and the Mac desktop environment.

Having a desktop app as a vault for every browser extension seems like a robust security architecture.
The idea has won me over!

You indeed seems to have dificult to port actual javascript code to Safari or a desktop Mac application. Therefore, why not consider implementing Passbolt in a native or cross-platform framework that allows the use of native features?

Yes this would initially require a significant overhaul, in the long run, but you would have access to all the features platform specific.
This could truly be a game changer for the future.

Maybe Passbolt should be aiming multiple languages at the same time?

“70% of passbolt users are on windows”,
Yeah sure Mac users are still searching for a well implemented password manager.

This feature is a must to have, because this is crytical for mac users.

We are looking for the well-designed, well-polished, well-integrated, offering a great user experience.
with security first :wink:

Subscribed, followed, Hell Yeah!

1 Like

Mac users are willing to pay. That is the DEFINITION of a Mac user. If Passpolt has problems hiring devs, might I suggest that embracing the Mac crowd might be a cash cow?
One might even consider a stop-gap AppleScript solution that makes API calls just to get things moving.

2 Likes

Glad to see we all have the same concern on this!
A cross platform desktop App with a real impact (not just displaying passwords)

• Vault in the App
  • Autofill in heavy applications.
  • Biometry with platform natives features

@remy Might we see our pleas gain traction, fueling Passbolt’s action?
For a future where security and convenience gain satisfaction.