I want to be able to assign users into groups when I am inviting them

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
It looks like I can only add users to groups after they accepted the invite into passbolt and created their accounts. Now I have to wait until all users accepted their invites and set up their accounts before I can put them into the different groups.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
All users, who invite others into passbolt.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Makes setting up an organization and groups much easier. Also when new people join the organization it would be very helpful.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
My suggestion would be that when creating/inviting users I can already assign them groups. And when editing groups I can add users who are invited but did not create their accounts yet.

1 Like

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

@Jojojo thanks for the proposal. The reason this is not done at the moment is that there is a major hurdle with End to End encryption scheme passbolt uses. In order to share a password with someone (necessary when you add them to a group), you need to encrypt the secrets with the public key of the user. This key is generated client side during the setup.

One approach we were thinking of taking would be to add the users to the group as “pending”, and then wait for them to complete the setup, and have the group manager share credentials with them once they have completed the setup. This would make things more transparent, even if the credentials of the groups won’t be available to the user right after the login.

5 Likes

That sounds like a great solution to me!

I see that this feature is not in the Roadmap.
Can you please tell me if this feature is about to be added ? I see it in “Coming soon”, but this is not clear to me “when is soon”.
If there are rules about whether or not a feature is included in the roadmap, can you give us them, or a link to the article that detailes this ? I can’t find this information.

Thank you !

Hello @pmo,

There are no “rules” when it comes to the roadmap and feature prioritization. We try to take into account the feedback of the community as well as requests from customers / business partners, but also make space for bug fixes, security, maintenance, usability improvements, while juggling with the limited resources at our disposition.

This item in particular is something we want to tackle in 2022. We try to avoid giving ETA, as it is hard for us to estimate when something will be fully delivered, and it creates a lot of frustration on both sides when expectations are not met.

Related issue. As an administrator I can add users that have not completed the setup to a group - #3 by remy

A post was split to a new topic: How do I modify the invitation expiration?