Offer more precise control over login expiration in browser add-on

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

In the browser plugin, the only expiration options are “remember me until I log out” (which doesn’t actually work as advertised, but seems to expire the login after a few hours), and “forget passphrase immediately”.

The latter is almost entirely useless, because in most cases, more than one context switch between the add-on and the page you’re logging into is required, and without “remember me”, the passphrase needs to be entered again for each step, and once logged in, the credentials have to be found again.

“Remember me until I log out” solves that, but I would like more precise control over the expiration.

Q2 - Who is impacted?

All users of the browser plugin(s). Have only tested on Firefox, but assume that it works the same on other browsers.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?

Significant UX improvement.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)

Extend options to “Remember me for…” with a selection of:

• “…5 minutes”
  • “…15 minutes”
  • “…1 hour”
  • (other reasonable choices)
  • “…until I log out” (and make it work as advertised, i.e., remember the login until the user actively logs out, or closes the browser session)

Q5. Community support
(Forum does not allow me to keep the poll here)

Hello,

There is already some specifications draft to solve this issue, called “Session duration settings”, feel free to peruse and comment:

2 Likes