Warn if server version not compatible with browser extension

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
Browser extensions are pushed automatically e.g. to Chrome and Firefox. The new version may no longer be compatible with the Passbolt API.

After the extension update of 8th August 2019 was pushed Passbolt stopped working on Chrome then a few hours later on Firefox. Passwords became inaccessible and nothing was copied to the paste buffer.
The previous version was pulled from Git in June.

Unfortunately I didn’t collect any detailed logs as I urgently needed to get things running again for another project.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
All users of our own Passbolt server were impacted.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Sudden loss of access to passwords can seriously disrupt mission-critical operations at our company.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
At a minimum some warning should appear in the browser indicating that the Passbolt API now needs to be updated to be compatible with the new browser extension.

Hello @SimonBlandford,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

It is not an expected behavior, the browser extension is backward compatible with the previous versions of the passbolt API. Can you describe me what you saw on the login page ? Did you find a workaround ?

If you are still encountering this issue, you can send us a message at support@passbolt.com.

The login page seemed OK.

I just couldn’t get any usernames or passwords into the pastebuffer. Clicking on the username or password just opened the edit tab instead of copying to the clipboard. Manually selecting the username and doing CTRL-C didn’t work either. The password box was completely missing if editing an entry.

The other thing I noticed was that I was unable to add new users to a group. If I pressed the + icon then Edit Group I just saw an empty Group Name box and no users. At the time (yesterday) the workaround was to use Firefox although Firefox displayed the same symptoms as of today.

I resolved the issues by upgrading the API to the latest Git master branch, updating the libraries and migrating the DB as per the instructions.

Thank you for the feedback @SimonBlandford.

These issues could be related to the update of the passbolt extension itself.

It looks like the new extension code didn’t get successfully executed. I’m opening a ticket in our backlog to investigate the problem.

The fact that it happened on both browsers and for all your users is very surprising to me, this update process has been tested on a bunch of users before being released in production.

If you don’t mind, can you give me more details :

• Operating systems name and version;
  • Passbolt API version before update;
  • Browsers name and version;

I’m glad you find a solution.

Best regards,
Cedric

Hi Cedric,

• On the server the operating system is Amazon Linux AMI release 2017.09

• On the client the operating systems are Neon Linux 18.04 and Windows 7-64

• The browser versions (on my Neon Linux desktop) are Chrome Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) and Firefox 68.0.1 (64-bit)

• Passbolt version before update was, from Git log…
    commit 37369540952fd0046cd400f693ca04ac5b37a188 (HEAD -> master, tag: v2.10.0, origin/release, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
    Author: Kevin Muller kevin@passbolt.com
    Date: Thu May 16 17:01:44 2019 +0200

• Passbolt version after update was, from Git log…
    commit 423fda95511774b4d073db2091253cb3b6b2119e (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
    Merge: 73da3302d0 e11226546d
    Author: Cedric Alfonsi cedric@passbolt.com
    Date: Thu Aug 8 20:28:48 2019 +0530

• Using php71-fpm-7.1.15-1.31.amzn1.x86_64 on nginx-1.12.1-1.33.amzn1.x86_64 with mysql55-server-5.5.58-1.19.amzn1.x86_64

Thanks so much for a speedy and proactive response!
Best regards,
Simon

Thank you for the detailed information.

Note that a possible workaround could be to shut completely the browser and restart it, it should flush any code conflict (In case it happen again).

Best regards,
Cedric