Add Opera/ Opera GX to the list of supported browsers

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
Currently you cannot use Passbolt in Opera/ Opera GX.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Opera/ Opera GX users

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Currently, other browsers must be used, even if they are not set up for anything else.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution?
I used the extension in Opera GX for a while before the browser lock was added. The installation of Chrome extensions supports Opera / Opera GX and I had no problems. So Opera / Opera GX would only need to be added to the list of supported browsers, no other changes would be necessary.

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like

I’m not personally a big fan of Opera GX as it is owned by a Chinese Consortium.

so it should not be supported, because you don’t like the browser? On the same basis we could remove chrome, as it not respect your personal data…

1 Like

I don’t use chrome, but chrome is at least based in the US. I’m just saying we already see significant issues with Chinese-owned applications such as TikTok. I just see it as being not an ideal browser. Also, Opera’s market share is very low, so this wouldn’t be a priority anyhow.

We weigh the expressed interests, not the expressed disinterests, and agree to have differing interests.

2 Likes

can we add passbolt please to opera, this is not mainly a chinis product. Opera is a Norwegian multinational technology conglomerate holding company headquartered in Oslo, Norway with additional offices in Europe, China, and Africa. The company’s total user base, including users of its desktop browsers, mobile browsers and other services exceeds 380 million monthly active users.

Opera has been the most go to browsers for people like us who likes the features this browser offers. If you can add this to opera, then can have users from those 300 million monthly active users of opera browsers.

@remy I looked for an answer to why Opera was not included but couldn’t find one. If it worked with the Opera GX extension, was there a concern that led to leaving it off the list?

it’s not a custom Opera GX extention. It’s the chrome extention, but you can install chrome extentions with Opera.
It’s just a browser detection, and Opera isn’t included in the list of allowed browsers.

Well seems like it’s working again.
You just don’t get the info, if the extension isn’t already installed.

Hi!

I’d like Opera support to be added to Passbolt as it’s my main browser.

I have Passbolt installen on my own server and currently I can’t even login via web, it directly sends me a recovery URL via email, and when I visit that URL I get a “Sorry, your browser is not supported.” message and an invitation to download a different browser.

I still haven’t installed the chrome extension but I wont’ bother if I can’t even use Passbolt from the browser itself.

Strangely enough, I enabled the Chrome extension in my Opera browser (I forgot I had it installed) and now I can login via web, even if I still had to do the account recovery dance.

Previously I’ve been using the web UI from Firefox, also with the add-on installed and enabled.

Is that a requisite to use the web UI?

Hello, yes. You can discover why here: Why a browser extension? | Passbolt documentation.

Cheers,

1 Like

Another point, you can also use the mobile extension for iPhone or android and the Windows application but you need to setup the web extension first.

Cool, thanks!

That’s enough for me to start using Passbolt with Opera :slight_smile:

1 Like