Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
The UI does not provide visual feedback on the maxlength of fields and will either give errormessage when saving, or in some cases truncate the field without any feedback and save less data than was intended. Two examples:
- Create new password, the password field is populated with a 5000 bytes/characters long. When saving, the error message “There was an unexpected error… Could not validate entity Plaintext.” appears. No indication that the field-data was too long.
- Paste a description from clipboard that is 11000 bytes/characters long. The UI will silently truncate to 10000 bytes, happily save the content without warnings or visual feedback that user tried to add too much data. Ending up with 1k worth of data too little.
Q2 - Who is impacted?
Anyone silly enough to use 4k+ character passwords or use the description field to store more than 10k worth of text. (or overflow any of the other fields, i have not checked them)
Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Could be important if description is silently dropped/truncated as users might not be aware that the limitation exists.
Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
Perhaps add a descriptive text about maxlength for each field, or be more intricate about actually giving strong visual feedback (red/orange background if overflowed or at max-length). For example, if a fields maxlength is 4096, and user tries to input 4096, it could be an indication that UI truncated a pasted value.
Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:
- Must have: this is critical for me to have this
- Should have: this is important for me to have this
- Could have: this could be nice to have
- Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)