As a user I should be able to use passbolt in another language than english

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
Passbolt is currently only available in english.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Everybody that does not speak english.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
It will increase adoption.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)

1. PHP side
    This one is the easiest, since it’s native to cakephp. You can use the i18n console extract command to gather the string to translate.

2. JS side
    On the JS side of the API code (e.g. the js code not in the extension) it works using the same dictionnary than cakephp. Indeed in our library the JS __() use a dictionnary file loaded from the DictionnaryController endpoint. So the baseline is already there, we need some process however to add these strings to the same .po file generated on step 1.

3. Plugin side
    Ship the translations with the plugin (as it’s the easiest, otherwise you need to have a more complex dictionaries versionning, as server and plugin version are not necessarily matching all the time).
    We also have __() placeholders here but we hit a roadblock with the limitations of Firefox, that was not supporting internationalization in the content code (it was supporting it only in the addon code). This have changed with webextension, but we’re not using webextension with Firefox yet. Long story short, it was not exactly a quicky one to make it cross browser compatible on the extension side, so we posponed it, we should have a look at it again.

ref. Translation · Issue #53 · passbolt/passbolt_api · GitHub

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like

See related issue: https://github.com/passbolt/passbolt_api/issues/283

Hello,
I want to ask, if it give a schedule for the internationalization?
In our company, we have some (old) people who can’t speak english and internationalization is a very important feature for us, in our migration progress to a cloud password manager in 2020.
Thank you very much!

1 Like

Passbolt is now available in multiple language such as French, Japanese, German, Dutch, Spanish and many more on the way. See. passbolt.crowdin.com/ to join translation effort.