As an admin, I should be able to see when queued emails will not be sent

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

While I was trying to work out the SMTP configuration for my Passbolt installation, I apparently ran up against the send_tries limit in the email_queue table (apparently the limit is 4.).

But the cake EmailQueue.sender command gave no indication that it was refusing to send these emails, even with the --verbose flag. I had to dig into the database manually to discover this and then reset the send_tries value back to 0 to deliver the message.

MariaDB [passbolt]> SELECT id,subject,sent,send_tries FROM email_queue;

+--------------------------------------+----------------------------+------+------------+
| id                                   | subject                    | sent | send_tries |
+--------------------------------------+----------------------------+------+------------+
| 5a5644b9-5560-4ab6-a16f-4cce0a0a0064 | Welcome to passbolt, Greg! |    0 |          4 |

Q2 - Who is impacted?

Any admin who may have trouble configuring SMTP relay for Passbolt.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?

Even when the SMTP configuration is working, messages in the queue will “mysteriously” not be sent.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution?

• Configure the cake EmailQueue.sender --verbose flag to output something like, Email {id} was not sent. Send tries limit reached.

• Add a clearRetries [id] subcommand to clear the retries for a particular message in the queue.

Q5. Community support

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like