Email cron job is never executed (Docker, passbolt:2.11.0-debian)

Greetings. I’ve set up Passbolt with Docker with the following image: passbolt/passbolt:2.11.0-debian, and everything is running fine except for email notifications.

The issue I’m running into is that email cron job never appears to be run, and the /var/log/cron.log file is never created. When I request a password reset in the web UI, an email is queued but never sent.

If I connect to the container and manually execute the command in the cron job (su -c "source /etc/environment ; /var/www/passbolt/bin/cake EmailQueue.sender" -s /bin/bash www-data >> /var/log/cron.log 2>&1), all queued emails are successfully sent and received. So the email side of things is definitely working.

Running /etc/init.d/cron status shows that cron is running. Adding valid test jobs via crontab -e appears to have no effect. I feel like I must have missed something, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Found the issue and leaving the resolution here for posterity. This container was running on an AWS server, and apparently, the problem does manifest there. See here for details. Commenting out the module pam_loginuid.so line and restarting cron fixed the problem.

It would be nice to have the Dockerfile update /etc/pam.d/cron as described in the stackoverflow link to avoid this problem.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.