Password should be able to match with title/website title or multiple domains

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
I manage multiple NAS in different location and network, but my credentials are the same for all of them. It would be nice that password match with words/page title, as they have all pretty much the same page title or the same word that appears.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Everyone

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
It will be helpful, and think it’s nice feature to have. Not that urgent

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)

• Have a check box in password’s information that enable words in page title/page title matching
  • Just match passwords with URI and words in page title/page title by default

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like

I think the second idea of having the ability to list multiple domains/urls for one secret is even a valid one on it’s own even without the word searching. It’s potentially a next-step away from the current functionality.

We can currently wildcard subdomains and use one secret across many sites in the context of a domain match.

2 Likes

Thank you, i didn’t know for subdomains. But my main concern for the NAS is that i use ip address to access them, so that why i thought matching words in page title could be a solution. Should I edit the main post for clarifications ?

Maybe mention multiple domains somehow in the title so it catches a broader audience. I think it’s all valid. :+1:

1 Like

Same situation here. This is something that I could try an add. So essentially try to match the “name” section with similar or exact matches.

Could use regex for this one maybe.

So personally, I think matching the name section with similar names (aka Page Titles) would be a better approach. Sometimes people would use the same password for completely unrelated sites.

EG:
community.passbolt.com → Title: Passbolt community forum
signup.passbolt.com/cloud/signup → Title: Passbolt | CloudSignup

The common phrase would be “passbolt”. I’m not sure if this is done using javascript or php. Will have to take a deep dive at the source code.

Since regex might not work. You could break the string up and make it into an array then match the arrays for a common word and link the two. If anyone has solutions I could try feel free to drop them lol

This would be a trial and error situation, ill spin up a VM and dig into the code on Sunday.

Regards,
Bond

1 Like

I have used another password manager that has a global and also per-record setting to allow a variety of matching. It has been a super useful feature for us that I would like to see in Passbolt.

4 Likes