Safari plugins support

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
Would be nice to be able to use Passbolt with the 2 other major browsers : Edge (formerly IE / Internet Explorer) and Safari.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
People who only use Edge or Safari, as the default browser in their OS.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
It would allow to use Passbolt more widely in enterprise world where Edge is mainly used.
It would also make it easier to use with Mac OS, which comes with Safari by default.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
A new plugin for each one of the 2 browsers Edge and Safari.

Admin update 28/12: Updated title to be Safari only as Edge is done.

9 Likes

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like

Is there a timeline for safari support?

@pimzwager Unlikely to happen this year i’m afraid.

thank you for this information, we will have to find a workaround

Hi, any update on timeline for support?

@Thiryn no update at the moment sorry.

I’d like to get this possibility. A half of our teammates use macbooks with safari for their work.
And they have to change their favorite browser, only because we use centralized passwords storage…
It world be a great benefit, to get at least Safari support.

2 Likes

This would be outstanding! A lot of our company members using a Mac with Safari as their default Browser.

1 Like

Would love to have a Safari Extension for Passbolt - as it is used widely in our company

Would also love Safari support! Not on the roadmap as I can see, but if it would get on it I’d be a happy chap

chiming in with the rest: would very much desire safari support.

1 Like

Once more, I was thinking about installing Passbolt as it seems to be one of the best solution out there, but mobile and safari support is really missing. Can’t sell that to my company…

For those interested in Edge - Microsoft are rebuilding the browser from the Chromium open source project which powers Google Chrome. The Chrome version of the plugin works perfectly in the dev build of Edge browser (I’ve been using it daily for some time now).

I’d also like to throw my support behind a Safari plugin (especially on iOS)

Any news? Like Mac is really heavily used these days and these people wont give up Safari that easily … Safari support plox!!! :frowning:

As stated earlier. Microsoft Edge (chromium) is already available. So only Safari is challenging … (“Safari is a new IE”). I’m using passbolt with Edge newest version.

Safari in mac OS “Big Sur” (11.0) will support Web Extensions and also offers a conversion tool to bring existing extensions to Safari. Would that be a viable path to follow?

See this session from WWDC 2020: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10665/

@mkerz-dcc Yes it looks like it will be compatible with chrome and firefox extension. As always the devil is in the details. We’ll give it a shot.

Thanks for the swift reply. That sounds fantastic. I’m really looking forward to using passbolt on Safari.

Apple has issued a reminder to developers for the creation of web extensions for Safari on Big Sur. https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=kuswih5l

Do you have any updates on the progress? This seems like a low hanging fruit.