What’s your first programming language and what do you like now? 🧑‍💻

Hey community members,

:computer: Let’s take a trip down memory lane and share with us your initial programming language - from your humble beginnings to where you’re at now, regardless of its complexity. It’s amazing to reflect on the journey of how far you’ve come in the programming world. :woman_technologist:

We’re also curious to know which programming language you currently enjoy. Let us know your experience and which language you favour now. Share your unique stories of how you ventured into the world of coding. :technologist: :tada:

Feel free to leave a comment below and let’s get connected! :star2:

:heart: Thank you for your continued support and contribution. :heart:

6 Likes

My first programming language was Python :snake:. It was love at first line of code! I had no experiences with programming and it was a friendly, welcoming language when you are going for the first time in the world of algorithms.

As I dipped into web development, I’ve started to learn PHP in its most unadulterated form which is vanilla PHP :elephant: :man_technologist:. While frameworks are fantastic tools that help us develop more efficiently, there was something about understanding the bare bones of PHP’s architecture that appealed to me.

So, with an immense curiosity to explore this language, I went on to craft my own framework, inspired by the renowned Symfony. Yes, it was an uphill climb, but looking back, the satisfaction of achieving this feat was unmatched! Once I felt I had a better grasp of PHP, I moved on to learn Symfony and obviously making my life easier.

Today, I’m personally enjoying programming in Express.js :green_heart: It remind me when I made my own framework in PHP. Indeed it provides me with the freedom to architect my applications, build, and perfect my own structures. :muscle:

7 Likes

My first language was Arduino because I tried to develop a little project in high school where I had to turn on and off an RGB-led stripe clapping hands.
A few years later I learned Java, which I’m using now at work. I also have knowledge of C#, Android, HTML/CSS/JS/PHP, Node.JS and Python.
For now, I’m interested in Python because it is powerful and simple. I would like to learn more about it and others like Vue.JS

7 Likes

I started with Scheme in high school. I wanted to learn programming but didn’t know where to start. I picked up the only programming book I could find in the local bookstore that came with a CD, since downloading stuffs with a 56k internet modem sucked at that time :slight_smile: . It was called : “Débuter la programmation avec Scheme” from Eric Wegrzynowski and Jean-Christophe Routier. Scheme is a dialect of Lisp, a functional programming language, which retrospectively is a bit a of an obscure choice to learn programming idioms. It was fun though, some of the exercise includes the creation of dialog automats, not exactly your ChitChatGPT, but mind opener for me at that time.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

Reflecting on our origins in coding is truly an insightful trip. My journey began with the Amstrad CPC6128, from where I dabbled into creating simple games on my calculator in college. I also spent a considerable amount of time building themes and bots on mIRC.

My academic path exposed me to a spectrum of languages, including PHP, Java, C, and Cobol, and provided me a deep dive into the realm of networking.

In my professional life, I have gotten the opportunity to work with a variety of technologies. Besides NodeJS and TypeScript, I’ve had the chance to work with React and VueJS for frontend development, and Ruby on Rails for server-side applications. I’ve also been involved in creating WordPress plugins and Drupal modules.

Among these, I’ve developed a particular fondness for JavaScript, mainly for its robust ecosystem and its suitability for building web applications. Yet, for quick, efficient tasks, I often find myself turning to Python. The simplicity and efficiency it offers for scripting tasks is hard to beat.

But ultimately, the ‘best’ language or technology often depends on your goals. If you’re aiming to build and maintain a project for the long haul, like Passbolt, you might lean towards one tech stack. If it’s about quick and efficient results, your choice might be different. What truly matters is to stay curious, keep exploring, and never stop learning.

Thanks for prompting this insightful discussion. Let’s keep coding and learning together!

6 Likes

I started off with js and php. I learned quite a bit of python and fell in love. So, right now I’m super interested in learning more Go and Python.

8 Likes

I wasn’t ever hugely interested in software development but my first year of university a guy who lived down the hall ordered an Ubuntu 8.04(not a typo it was indeed Hardy Heron) install CD and we went for it. So, bash ended up being the first I used for anything. Several years later I picked up some python which was fun. I don’t really go beyond scripting for development so I am still a fan of just getting it done with bash.

8 Likes

Started with a commodore 64 and basic, primarily because I did not have games to play so it kind of motivated me to create my own :smiley: (plot twist: I never managed to complete it).
After that, I fell into PHP/JS and later CakePHP which I never stopped using since. I have also had fun with a bunch of JS frameworks and recently really enjoyed React and NextJS.

6 Likes

My very first language was C for a couple of years.
Then I diversified:

• On low level side (for app and video games), I moved gradually to C++ to end up with .Net
  • On Web technology, I started with PHP for 11 years before moving to Golang. In the meantime, I combined quickly combined these backend technologies with JavaScript (and 8 years after with mostly TypeScript) and 16 years after, I’m still actively working with it, as I slowly focus mostly on Frontend side. I don’t mention ActionScript 2/3 which are not really useful anymore nowadays :grimacing:

Sometimes, I developed Mobile application, but mostly with hybrid technologies and the new trends: Cordova → Ionic → React Native (when started to work with React) → Flutter.
They are not really “programming language”, except for Flutter which is, in my opinion, the most interesting one between them.

6 Likes

Loved it! The platform was riddled with memory leaks and half baked libraries, but the language was great.

1 Like

Totally agree! I really loved it and still my top 3 languages :smiley:

2 Likes

Like Max, my first computer was an Amstrad CPC6128 with which I learned coding simple games in BASIC 1.1.

My first infinite loop was:

10 PRINT "hello"
20 GOTO 10

Then at school, I learned LOGO and the “turtle” to write squares and triangles :stuck_out_tongue:

Later I discovered GNU/Linux and I use now mainly Bash for simple things and Python for more complex ones.

4 Likes