As a logged in user I can import my passwords from a CSV file generated by 1password

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
As an actual user of 1password I want to migrate to passbolt. Without an import functionality this migration will be very cumbersome and not user friendly.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
1password users that want to migrate to passbolt.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
It is strategic to be inter-operable as it is a key value of the open source solutions to be able to work with other products or systems without any restrictions.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
ref. https://support.1password.com/export/
Original request: https://github.com/passbolt/passbolt_api/issues/137

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like

Very happy this is added (although not by me :slight_smile: ) can it be modified to include a ‘vote’ or ‘like’, whichever is the preferred method of voting thanks! @laura I am not familiar enough to make the changes …

1 Like

@mannp added the poll. Cheers,

1 Like

I have a lot of passwords to import. I would be happy using some CLI script to do this - for me, there is no need to integrate this into the UI.

I presume that when importing a batch of passwords, I’d select the user who will be the owner. In addition to this, I would like to select a group to share them with and the sharing mode.

Or else, I would like a bulk UI action for setting the sharing on a selected set of passwords, which I see has been requested before:

@candlerb is your post related to 1password, as it seems to be related to another thread?

It’s related to importing passwords from a CSV file, i.e. bulk-import of passwords.

In my case, they won’t come from 1password. But a CSV file is a CSV file, no?

It’s assuming that the format of the CSV you use will be the same format and have the same fields as 1p uses. That is not necessarily true.

I think they are separate, but related requests.

In order to do the import, I’m happy to pre-manipulate the data into whatever format is required - so as long as the 1p CSV file format is documented, or I have a sample to compare with, it would be sufficient for my purposes.

Ultimate end result I’d prefer a straight import as Butercup does right now, but if its a matter of thats not going to happen or to save work to focus elsewhere I’d settle for pre manipulating.

As 1P is likely a close competitor potentially of passbolt for the paying customers/enterprise it will likely need a slick straight import; but thats only my opinion :slight_smile:

Just curious, is there a way to import a plain text file directly into mariadb rather than a webui option?

It is not possible to import a plain text file directly into mariadb. Some logic is required to validate the input and set the right entries in the permission table, etc. this is why any future custom import feature will need to use the API.

I have created a script that does this. As i needed to import 3000 passwords. It is very much still in development and you will need some python knowledge and time to use it. Send me a personal message if you want it.

@eddie4 Can you please share these script with me?

How have you solve the issue with importing encripted secrets to the database?

This feature is now available in passbolt pro.

Hello, I am using the ce edition. Can you share with me your script ?

This feature is now available to community edition as of v2.8.

As a new user I just imported my stuff from 1Password as nicely described in this page: Passbolt Help | How to import passwords from a csv or kdbx file

All username and passwords were indeed imported but with a crucial missing detail: the URL
This resulted in all my account loosing their reference URIs:

rendering passbolt browser integration orders of magnitudes less useful.

So the question is: what am I doing wrong?

The only thing I noticed is that the CSV header, instead of the expected one:

Title,Username,URL,Password,Notes,Type

is actually:

Title,Url,Username,Password,OTPAuth,Favorite,Archived,Tags,Notes

but I doubt the importer is so flimsy to be thrown off from a simple label change, isn’t it?

I’ve 1000+ account, having to manually fix every URL makes the importing futile :sob:

Hi @unlucio :wave: and welcome to passbolt community forum :handshake:

Maybe can you try to replace in your csv header Url with URL (all letters uppercased).

Hope this help,

Best,

Hello Anatomic, thank you for answering.

And well, yes I could reformat the whole CSV, but that would just point out the importer needs to be more robust, wouldn’t it?
Or I could get into the API’s documentation and write my own importer, but this one would still be bugged, wouldn’t it?
The point of my post is so that others in the future will have a better importing experience :slight_smile:

It seemed the point of your post was to let the community know you were not aware of any easy way to import all the fields correctly as desired.

Are you able to import the URIs with the modification suggested by @AnatomicJC?