As a SRE I'd like to be able to use secrets from passbolt in the External Secrets operator for kubernetes

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
External Secrets allows to integrate secrets from various providers into kubernetes secrets. With a passbolt integration I would be able to use secrets from passbolt in kubernetes secrets.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
SRE / kubernetes cluster maintainers that are using passbolt and want to ave an easy way to automatically integrate secrets from passbolt into kubernetes would profit from this integration.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
User would profit from an easy and automated integration from passbolt secrets into kubernetes.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
passbolt would provide a provider integration in External Secrets Operator.

A solution is discussed also here: New provider integration for passbolt · Issue #2188 · external-secrets/external-secrets · GitHub

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:
(I’m not allowed to create polls)

3 Likes

This is interesting we’ll dig into it to define the scope to make a PR in the external secrets repo!

1 Like

For PassBolt developers: there is an abandoned alpha of " passbolt-secret-controller", GitHub - thegrumpylion/passbolt-secrets: Kebernetes secrets from Passbolt, last updated 3 years ago.
It does not have a Helm or OLM deployment, but can be of a help.

Has there been any update on this? It would be a nice thing to have. I think the best way would be to implement a provider for passbolt in external-secrets :slight_smile:

Hey @tuxillo,

We really want to get this project going but unfortunately we don’t have the bandwidth right now, we’ll keep you posted as soon as we start working on it.

upvoting totally would like to see this feature.

Hello!

Thank you all for your interest in this feature. I’m sad to say that It is unlikely that this integration gets implemented this year as our bandwitdth will be even more reduced as the year advances. However, I have bumped into this project that might be interesting to some of the community members GitHub - urbanmedia/passbolt-operator: A Kubernetes Operator that allows you to synchronize your Passbolt credentials with Kubernetes Secrets

I added some basic support for ExternalSecrets.

2 Likes

Wow @thorbenbelow great :sunglasses: it is awesome :heart:

Thank you for this :clap:

Are you currently using it ?

and passbolt provider is already in the external secret doc :open_mouth: :partying_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :+1:

https://external-secrets.io/latest/provider/passbolt/

Awesome :heart:

1 Like