As a user I'd like to be able to create a password for a group (Without clicking share)

Hi,
Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
The current steps to adding an entry to a group are;

1. Login as me
  2. Create entry
  3. Click share
  4. Add group as owner
  5. Delete self as owner
  6. Save (type in password)

This is a bit long when you want to create an entry specifically for a group.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Everybody using groups.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Ease of use is part of the product values.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
I’d love to be able to do:

1. Login as me
  2. Create entry and set owner to group rather than self
  3. Click save
1 Like

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like

In a business environment, I would also like this to be extended by enforcing a policy: “all passwords must be shared with a group”. That is: completely disable the ability to create a password which is owned by an individual and not shared.

The problem this solves is: people have been putting in company secrets just for themselves, and when they leave, they are lost.

1 Like

I agree with this. This is an essential feature.

It’s the very last function that prevents me from changing LastPass to Passbolt.

Do you have any news about this?

Dear @tuxmartin,
We are currently focusing entirely on shipping the “Folders” feature, which will also partially solve this problem (you will be able to create a password directly in a folder which is already shared with a group / or users).
Regarding enforcing a sharing policy, this will be part of the usability improvements round, planned immediately after Folders. Just a little bit more patience :slight_smile:

Dear @kevin,

you will be able to create a password directly in a folder which is already shared with a group

That sounds great!
Do you have any time estimate?

We are aiming for this month (March), however given the complexity of the feature we can’t really commit on a date. We already had a few unexpected surprises along the way. Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

We are currently focusing entirely on shipping the “Folders” feature, which will also partially solve this problem (you will be able to create a password directly in a folder which is already shared with a group / or users).
Regarding enforcing a sharing policy, this will be part of the usability improvements round, planned immediately after Folders. Just a little bit more patience :slight_smile:

@kevin Will it be available in the community version?

@kevin Will it be available in the community version?

@tuxmartin Yes it will.

1 Like

Hello,
Is it still the case that folders are planned to be available for the community version, or has this changed since this post? I see on the Roadmap page that on the in-progess features, Folders have (Pro) beside them.
Thank you

@tuxmartin @reidsunderland

I realize that I was not very clear on my previous message. Let me clarify:

• Folders: It will only be part of Passbolt Pro initially, same as mentioned in the roadmap.
  • Enforcing a sharing policy: It will be available in Passbolt CE.

@kevin Is there any discussion thread for this feature or the improvements in general? We want to have one group that owns all passwords (kinda like a Superadmin) but right now we always need to add the password to this group and others; Would a Sharing Policy simplify this workflow?

If not, should I create a new thread with the request?

Hi @kevingimbel,

See: Can an admin get access to passwords not shared to anyone for a user who left the company? (it is close enough).

Yes, the sharing policy will simplify this workflow. It will be possible to configure an escrow user / group that all passwords will automatically be shared with. This auto-share will probably be configurable so that it can be forced (the user cannot remove it) or simply suggested (the user can remove it). We still have to write the exact specifications.

In terms of timeline, we usually do not give ETA (because it backfires). However, now that we have just released “folders” in RC (https://help.passbolt.com/releases/pro/v2130-in-the-air-tonight), Sharing policies / escrow is among the items positioned at the very top of our priorities and should be shipped not too long after.

Solved with folder feature.