Backup old Virtual Appliance before migration

Checklist
[x ] I have read intro post: About the Installation Issues category
[x ] I have read the tutorials, help and searched for similar issues
[x ] I provide relevant information about my server (component names and versions, etc.)
I provide a copy of my logs and healthcheck
[x ] I describe the steps I have taken to trouble shoot the problem
[x ] I describe the steps on how to reproduce the issue

Hi,

I have an older (Debian 10) virtual appliance I am trying to migrate to a new CE version of Passbolt running on Debian 12. The details of the old VM are below:

passbolt@passbolt-pro:/$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster
passbolt@passbolt-pro:/$ mysql --version
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.18-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
passbolt@passbolt-pro:/$

The new Debian 12 VM is built and ready to import the DB from the older machine but I cannot get the backup to work. I have looked at various tutorials but it seems to be failing on authentication.

I have tried to use www-data (nginx username is unknown) but I don’t have their password as, being a virtual appliance, I don’t think I defined them when initially spinning it up. Running both the command below

sudo su -s /bin/bash -c "/var/www/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt mysql_export"

And trying to following this blog, gave the same results which is an authentication failure.

Is there a way to recover the www-data password, assuming that is the account I should be using?

Thanks

sudo su -s /bin/bash -c "/var/www/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt mysql_export"

Since you don’t mention the web server user in the command, indeed it will prompt the password. Please run:

sudo su -s /bin/bash -c "/var/www/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt mysql_export" www-data