INstall on Debian 11 (on google cloud) just brings up Nginx welcome page

Checklist
[ x] I have read intro post: About the Installation Issues category
[ x] I have read the tutorials, help and searched for similar issues
[ x] I provide relevant information about my server (component names and versions, etc.)
[ x] I provide a copy of my logs and healthcheck
[ x] I describe the steps I have taken to trouble shoot the problem
[ x] I describe the steps on how to reproduce the issue

New VM on GCP. New IP address. New domain.

Followed the install instructions on Passbolt Help | Install Passbolt CE on Debian 11 (Bullseye)
Auto install Let’s Encrypt certs.
No errors at any stage - other than wget not being already installed on Debian 11.

But when Im finished and then browse to the domain or the IP address of the server, I just get the “Welcome to Nginx” screen. No config options for Passbolt.

If I run sudo -H -u www-data bash -c “/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt healthcheck” then I get this message.

____                  __          ____  
/ __ \____  _____ ____/ /_  ____  / / /_ 

/ // / __ `/ / / __ / __ / / _/
/ / // ( |
) /
/ / /
/ / / /
/
/ ,
/
/ **/. **/
** //__/

Open source password manager for teams

Healthcheck shell…Warning Error: file_get_contents(/etc/passbolt/gpg/serverkey.asc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
In [/usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Utility/Healthchecks/GpgHealthchecks.php, line 456]

2023-05-08 16:04:07 warning: Warning (2): file_get_contents(/etc/passbolt/gpg/serverkey.asc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [/usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Utility/Healthchecks/GpgHealthchecks.php, line 456]
Warning Error: file_get_contents(/etc/passbolt/gpg/serverkey_private.asc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
In [/usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Utility/Healthchecks/GpgHealthchecks.php, line 458]

2023-05-08 16:04:07 warning: Warning (2): file_get_contents(/etc/passbolt/gpg/serverkey_private.asc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [/usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Utility/Healthchecks/GpgHealthchecks.php, line 458]
.Exception: strpos() expects parameter 1 to be string, bool given
In [/usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Utility/Healthchecks.php, line 92]

There’s also nothing in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php

And nothing in the /etc/nginx/conf.d directory

Install works perfectly on CentOS. Not on Debian11.

It could be that the file /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default or /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default.conf is taking over the passbolt nginx config. In that case you should remove the default nginx configuration and restart nginx.

I’ve installed it on CentOS instead. Worked perfectly.

On Debian, I followed the instructions to the letter. Just wanted to report the issue.

I ran into the exact same issue on GCP on new Debian 12 (Bookworm) instance, I was able to resolve with these steps after successfully installing and getting Nginx Welcome screen.

1. in SSH interface I ran everything as root by starting with cmd
    sudo su
  2. To stop using nginx default config
    mv /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default /etc/nginx/default.bck
  3. in the file /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/nginx-passbolt.conf
    modfied first instance of the line
    server_name _; to server_name mysub.mydomain.com;
  4. ran dpkg-reconfigure passbolt-ce-server and enter all the same settings as first install (I used auto ssl)
  5. Configuration got a confirmation

Successfully deployed certificate for mysub.mydomain.com to /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/nginx-passbolt.conf

1. Restart Nginx with systemctl reload nginx
  2. Visit https://mysub.mydomain.com and complete installation using the previously used config accounts, variables and passwords