Support initial user creation in docker image entrypoint script

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
The official passbolt docker image requires you to create the first user using docker exec, then open a URL in a browser and complete a wizard. In fully automated deployment scenarios this is a little problematic as you can probably imagine.

When you are working with infrastructure-as-code (IaC) tools like Terraform, this is a little bit bigger of an issue, since you cannot express this initialization process in a declarative form in the IaC.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
I would imagine this benefits devops and sysadmins users the most.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
This change would mean that the initialization phase of the deployment of the passbolt docker image can be completely expressed in a declarative (IaC) format.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
Other docker images such as postgres or mariadb provide environment variables that can be set to run the first user creation process automatically on start. It would be great if the passbolt docker image would provide support for this as well in the docker-entrypoint.sh script.

For example, see “Environment variables” on https://hub.docker.com/_/mariadb

Q5. Community support
I received an error that I’m not allowed to create polls, so I had to remove the poll in order to be able to create this topic.

2 Likes

That is a good idea!