As a kdbx importer I need a checkbox which, when checked, imports the Keepass Folders as /Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/Title in passbolt Name

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
I have nearly 1000 passwords, most of them from customers. I organized them in folders Customers-GmbH and Customers-Self (I have a GmbH and am self-employed), in which every customer has another folder Customer1, Customer2… In this folder I have an entry e.g. Linux-Server with user and password.The entry Linux-Server exists almost in every customer. Since the import algorithm ignores the folders, the information which company the Linux-Server is from is lost. I can only guesses by IP-Address.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Every KeepassUser who has organized his passwords in folders with non-redundant titles in his entries and do not want to change hundreds of titles.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
I can just delete this first import. Information on to wich customer the entry belongs is lost.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
Just add a checkbox. When checked, the name of passbolt entries is structured like this: /keepassfolder1/keepassfolder2/keepassfolder3/title

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)
0 voters

I have been testing for a little the new folders feature.
The import function from kdbx creates the folders structure into passbolt, but the export function is not able to create an structure for keepass.

Achieving this would be close to accomplish the roadmap for “Keepass as an offline client”.

My workflow idea is to centralize the organization of all passwords in passbolt and make users download their shared passwords into keepass for offline use, but it need to replicate folder structure to be useful.

1 Like

Hello @AlexG,

Thank you for taking time to test the new folders feature.

It is possible to export a folder and its descendant. The options is available under the contextual menu of a folder. This capability will be later available through the grid later, when the folder will also be visible there.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks, didn´t noticed that.
What it’d miss now is the same contextual menu for “Folders” to be able to export, share, etc. all folders. The workaround for now is to create a main folder and all the others under that.

I’m sure the final version will cover this in a better way.
Thanks!

This capability of selecting multiple folders will be supported via the grid. As for resources, you will be able to select multiple folders and apply bulk operations. The stable version v2.13.0 won’t come with it, it will be released with the next v3 that we are going to announce soon.