As a user I can update a password with a process that makes the old password accessible until complete

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
Based on suggestion from: As a user I can retrieve previous versions of a password - #14 by Luclis

There is friction when updating passwords. Current workflow requires the equivalency of a complete password update in passbolt before it is able to be used on pages. Sites often require the old password, and this requires noting (copying/pasting) the old password somewhere temporarily.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Al users, basic functionality.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
Reduces friction of use which stands in the way of broader adoption, in light of passbolt’s current approach of not auto-saving from web pages. It would also be better security to not copy/paste a password anywhere outside of the program or the site it’s intended for.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
From the Quick Access panel, there could be an Rotate icon:

Clicking it would produce a display of Old Password / New Password, with dice based on existing settings. Maybe the New Password is automatically created.

The user is given an option to Cancel or Save.

The old and new passwords would be available.
We would also need to add a “Pin” to the Quick Access so it does not hide/reset when navigating away.

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)

0 voters

1 Like