As an admin, while deleting a user who is the sole owner of a password that is shared, I should be able to transfer the ownership to another user in order to be able to perform the deletion

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
When I try to delete a user, i get this message:

You are trying to delete the user “xxxx”!
This user is the sole owner of 1 password: xxxxxxx. You need to transfer the ownership to other users before you can proceed.

If a user has created a password and shared this with other people with only read rights and the person is not available anymore (in any way, like for example dead). When you try to delete the user it says that it has a sole password which is shared with other, so it can’t be deleted unless you transfer the ownership. However there is currently no way to do this.

This system is there to make sure that the integrity of the data is not compromised when deleting a user. Since a password needs a owner, before deleting a user that is the sole owner of one or several shared passwords, it is necessary that the ownership of these passwords are transferred to another user. Otherwise, the possibility to manage these passwords will be lost.

Q2 - Who is impacted?
Admins

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
This process makes it difficult / impossible for an admin to delete some users

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
As an admin, while deleting a user who is the sole owner of a password that is shared, there should be a dialog to help you with the transfer the ownership to another user in order to be able to perform the deletion.

Ref. PASSBOLT-2289
Ref: As an admin, while deleting a user who is the sole owner of a password that is shared, I should be able to transfer the ownership to another user in order to be able to perform the deletion. · Issue #133 · passbolt/passbolt_api · GitHub
Ref. As a group manager deleting a user I can transfer ownership of this user shared passwords to another user who has already read access. · Issue #128 · passbolt/passbolt_api · GitHub

Q5. Community support
People can vote for this idea to show traction:

• :ok_woman: Must have: this is critical for me to have this
  • :raising_hand_woman: Should have: this is important for me to have this
  • :tipping_hand_woman: Could have: this could be nice to have
  • :no_good_woman: Won’t have: we should not schedule this (explain why)
0 voters

I thought this would be available in version 2? Still can’t delete users and it says: You cannot delete this user!
delete_user

Yes it will be fixed soon but it’s still in the backlog.

Thanks, looking forward to it (let it be not in the Pro version xd).

1 Like

When can we expect this to be released for free version ?

1 Like

As per the support mail i received it was supposed to be released in May. Any updates on this?

We are currently working on it.
We’ll update this ticket once it’s released, hopefully next week or the one after.

Any news for this issue?

We made some progress with the specs and wireframe. The upgrade to the latest version of canjs took more time than planned but we should be able to release this in v2.3 this month.

Released with v2.3.
To know more check the release notes https://help.passbolt.com/releases/ce/v230-shine-on-you-crazy-diamond