🎉 Celebrating 7 Years since Passbolt 1.1.0 - What a Journey!

Hello there, passbolters! :wave:

Fasten your seatbelts, ensure your flux capacitors are fluxing and set the DeLorean’s destination time to the 9th August 2016 :red_car::dash::boom:

Why 9th August 2016? That’s the day one of the first publicly available versions of passbolt was released, version 1.1.0. For those who have been with us since, this might bring up some memories. For those newer to the community, let’s take a moment to appreciate the journey that has brought passbolt to its current iteration, v4.1.3

This release was one of our “1.21 gigawatts!” moments. The security infrastructure then was robust and fit for its time. It was this very foundation that has allowed us to build and improve the platform to meet today’s security standards. This is a testament to the approach that passbolt has used from the beginning and continues to use: Security first. :key:

But, back in 2016 our configuration files were spread between config/core.php, config/database.php, config/email.php, and config/app.php.These separate configuration files, although functional, were a bit like trying to hit 88 mph with a steam train… doable, but not as efficient as it could be. Later it transitioned to a single configuration file: config/passbolt.php. This minor change was a major step forward. It brought efficiency, speed and ease of use that are paramount in today’s environments. And it significantly reduces the chances of configuration errors, as everything is now centralized in one place. Greater simplicity means less chance of mistakes that might accidentally send you back to the Cretaceous Period!

Passbolt has always been made by developers, for developers but we always take in consideration that not everyone is familiar with server administration because, one day, we were just like them. That’s something that is never going to leave us, we always try to reduce the steps needed to install passbolt. You can see these efforts in action with the package installation, pre-filled docker-compose file, and more. The goal is always to help you to enjoy Passbolt as fast as possible.

While the modern passbolt experience may have remnants of its past, we’ve certainly traveled a long distance since our inception. The similarities between the user interfaces then and now shows a hint of how passbolt has evolved. A closer look reveals a world of change beneath the surface.

Our front-end was originally powered by CanJS. As the web evolved, we embraced the need for change and adopted React. The passbolt user interface is now powered by React, providing greater flexibility and efficiency.

Another significant change has been passbolt’s growth in compatibility. Previously, the browser extension was exclusive to Firefox.Since XPI was the standard at the time, it was our go-to format. Now passbolt is fully compatible with WebExtensions, an almost universal API for browser extensions. This has expanded availability to include Chrome, Edge, and more, while also bringing about improvements in security, performance, and ease of updates.

But, it’s not just about the past or the future, it’s about the journey. And you’ve been an integral part of ours. So, when did you join us on this journey? What’s your most memorable Passbolt feature or version?

Let’s continue powering through the space-time continuum of cybersecurity together, shaping passbolt for all the versions yet to come :heart::black_heart:

6 Likes

Happy Anniversary! I joined this journey two years ago and it has been very exciting to see how Passbolt has evolved in this short time.
I consider it the best password manager and I wouldn’t want to use another one. I am glad to be able to contribute to its evolution in a better way.
Here’s to many more years together! :tada:

8 Likes

I recall @Termindiego25 with your http header issue. A conf in apache and warp speed scotty :rocket: :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah! That was when I started testing the Android app in my personal instance :joy:

1 Like

Happy Birthday Passbolt :confetti_ball::balloon::tada:

4 Likes