New language - Slovak

Hello,

i want to propose a new language: Slovak

Thank you.

You should be able to create it yourself by copying this file passbolt_api/common.json at master · passbolt/passbolt_api · GitHub and changing the French strings to Slovak.

And this file I guess: passbolt_browser_extension/common.json at master · passbolt/passbolt_browser_extension · GitHub

@Milan You can learn more on how to contribute with translations here: Passbolt Help | How can I contribute to the translation?

@timthelion this is actually not the recommended way to contribute to translations, the defined process is in the link above, you can also have a look.

@Milan We added Slovak to the list of languages to translate passbolt into. To start contributing checkout the documentation RĂ©my posted.

Passbolt Crowdin: Crowdin Enterprise

@cedric Thank you. I will check the documentation.

What is required for a language to be included in the main release? I see that you have extensive translations to both german and swedish but only English and French are available to me in the internationalization drop down…

Hi,

For the language to be included in the next release we need to have the vast majority of the string translated (>95%) and proof-read by a native speaker on crowdin. We have a bunch of translators (volunteers or not) working on multiple languages at the moment, as you can see on the progress report. We hope to include german and spanish in the next release. If people want to add more language, we can add them in the interface in crowding, like we just did for Slovak.

Cheers,

Hi,

I can see why you want high standards for world languages like French, Spanish and German but Slovak has something like 5 million speakers, native or otherwise. Since there are 11 000 words to translate, and English → Slovak costs almost €12 per normostran to translate and proof-read, that means that whoever does that is investing over €500 of work (Almost half a months wages and or over 50 months of the passbolt business license) into a relatively minor language. Wouldn’t it be possible to allow for partial translations into smaller languages like Slovak, Czech, Danish ect. and simply mark those translations as “community translations”. People will understand that the translation is incomplete, we’re completely used to that. It’s just more comfortable for some people to have the basic functionality in there native language.

Hey Passbolt Team! I am ready to 100% translate Passbolt to my native language - Slovak. I have already fully translated in the past other apps. Before I will start I have a question however. On Crowdin I see for example German 100% (76% approved), Italian 98% translated (only 18% approved), Korean 99% (0% approved), Polish 98% (51% approved), Russian 99% (44% approved) and Spanish 100% (97% approved). From all of these languages Passbolt on iOS only has English and Spanish. I don’t want to end up 100% translating the app, then not able to do proofreading. Is there any issue, why for some languages the translations don’t get approved? Do I get also the right to do the proofreading? Thanks a lot for clarifying.

Well, I was not expecting answer within few hours, but 3 weeks later and still no reply? If you are not interested in community driven translations, that’s absolutely fine, just say it and make it public. But if anyone wants to help and they don’t even get answered… Well, what impression then I should have about Passbolt based on not even making effort to reply to my question, when I am offering my help and lot of free time invested in to translation?

First of all, thank you for wanting to help Passbolt and welcome to the forum.
Regarding your questions, some languages are not approved because the team does not have native people who proofread the translations given by the community.
If you want to become a proofreader o have any doubts, you can read their article at the following link:

Hi Diego. I know what it takes to translate and how it works. I have fully translated multiple apps in the past to Slovak using Crowdin. I was also able to do proofreading for the translations that I have made.

But it is not clear to me, why so many languages are 100% translated or close to 100% and Passbolt is still not available in those languages.

If you have ever done translation, you know how time consuming it is and how much effort it takes to make a quality translation. All I want to know is to understand if there is any problem, that makes new languages not available for release after translations are finished. I hope it is clear this way what I want to know, before I will invest in this a lot of my free time and then just find out, there are issues which will prevent to release Passbolt in my native language.

Sorry about that, I think your message fell between the cracks. It’s not the kind of experience we want people to have obviously.

Diego is correct, we’re short on some proofreaders for some languages. There needs to be a form of Q&A to make sure translators are not putting offensive things in there. We’ll try to get the slovak and russian language proofread this summer.

Also it seems like iOS/Android is a bit behind in terms of translated language integration, I’ll flag that to the mobile team.

Hi remy, thanks for your reply. Are you looking to hire people, that will do proofreading for you? Or will you try to get them from the community? So if I got it right, I can translate, but can not do proofreading for my translations. And until someone else will do the proofreading, any fully translated language won’t be available for release. Is it like this?

1 Like

Yes, that’s the point. You can’t proofread your own translations even if you have proofreading permissions, so you have to wait until someone checks your translations to increase the proofread % and then become published to a release version

1 Like

Yes generally we hire people to do proofreading, unless one of the staff can speak the language. Translators that have proven that their translations were good can then become proofreader. Since passbolt is a security solution we have to be on the cautious side.