Not Receiving email for sign in in passbolt

I’m using passbolt on ubuntu 20 and PHP version 7.4 now i am not able to receive emails for sign in. please help .

Hi @usman.tariq :wave:

Did you check this help page: Passbolt Help | Why are my emails not being sent?

There is also this one: Passbolt Help | Configure email providers

Which SMTP provider are you using ?

Best,

Thanks for reply sir but i did same steps which you send me both link.

sudo -H www-data -u bash -c "/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt send_test_email --recipient=youremail@domain.com"

this command is also not working.

Hi,

Can you post the full output of this command ? Just in case --recipient=youremail@domain.com has to be replaced with your mail address.

Cheers,

root@ops:/# sudo -H www-data -u bash -c “/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt send_test_email --recipient=my@email.com
sudo: www-data: command not found

My bad, the command in this help page contains a typo, the correct one is:

sudo -H -u www-data bash -c "/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt send_test_email --recipient=youremail@domain.com"

It is -u www-data and not www-data -u

Best,

root@ops:/# sudo -H -u www-data bash -c “/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/cake passbolt send_test_email --recipient=my@email.com
PHP Fatal error: You must enable the gnupg extension to use Passbolt. in /etc/passbolt/requirements.php on line 31
root@ops:/#

And sir gnupg extension is already enable
I have more then one version of PHP and I used PHP 7.4

Hi,

As passbolt is a password manager and contain sensitive informations, the recommended way to install it is to use a fresh vanilla server without other services hosted on it. This to reduce attack surface and avoid situations like this one :confused:

I guess you have enabled gnupg extension on one of your php version and not the one used to launch the passbolt command.

If you cannot use a dedicated server, maybe can you consider using docker to isolate passbolt application: Passbolt Help | Docker passbolt installation ?

Best,

Thanks for your advice sir but now I am already hosted on the server where another application is hosted and I have a lot of data in passbolt I cannot change now I will lose all my data, please suggest any debugging method.

Hi,

Can you give me the output of these commands:

PHP:

sudo grep -rn gnupg /etc/php/
dpkg -l | grep -E "php.*cli"
dpkg -l | egrep "php.*gnupg"
php -v

Passbolt related:

sudo /usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/status-report

Thanks !

root@ops:/# sudo grep -rn gnupg /etc/php/
/etc/php/7.3/mods-available/gnupg.ini:1:extension=gnupg.so
/etc/php/7.4/cli/php.ini:938:extension=/usr/lib/php/20190902/gnupg.so
/etc/php/7.4/fpm/php.ini:938:extension=/usr/lib/php/20190902/gnupg.so
/etc/php/7.4/mods-available/gnupg.ini:1:extension=gnupg.so
root@ops:/# dpkg -l | grep -E "php.*cli"
ii  php-cli                              2:8.1+92+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+2                                all          command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language (default)
ii  php7.3-cli                           7.3.33-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+1                                amd64        command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language
ii  php7.4-cli                           7.4.28-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+1                                amd64        command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language
ii  php8.0-cli                           8.0.17-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+1                                amd64        command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language
ii  php8.1-cli                           8.1.3-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+1                                 amd64        command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language
root@ops:/# dpkg -l | egrep "php.*gnupg"
rc  php-gnupg                            1.5.1-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+10                                amd64        PHP wrapper around the gpgme library
ii  php7.3-gnupg                         1.5.1-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+10                                amd64        PHP wrapper around the gpgme library
ii  php7.4-gnupg                         1.5.1-1+ubuntu20.04.1+deb.sury.org+10                                amd64        PHP wrapper around the gpgme library
root@ops:/# php -v
PHP 8.1.3 (cli) (built: Feb 21 2022 14:48:42) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.3, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.1.3, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
root@ops:/# ^C

output of command.
root@ops:/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin# cat status-report
#!/usr/bin/env bash

set -euo pipefail

user=${1:-www-data}
DIR=$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")

# shellcheck source=utils.sh
# shellcheck disable=SC1091
source "$DIR/utils.sh"

"$DIR"/versions "$user"
run_as "$DIR/cake passbolt healthcheck" "$user"
run_as "$DIR/cake passbolt cleanup --dry-run" "$user"
run_as "$DIR/cake passbolt datacheck --hide-success-details" "$user"
tail -100 "$(run_as "$DIR/cake passbolt show_logs_path" "$user" | tail -1)"
root@ops:/usr/share/php/passbolt/bin# 
status report

Hi,

Can you execute sudo /usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/status-report instead of cat status-report ? it will display some health status regarding passbolt.

Your default php-cli command is set to PHP 8.1.3 and this version doesn’t have any gnupg extension installed according to the output of the commands.

If I give you the command to change the default php-cli to php 7.4, there is chances it will broke your other applications hosted on your server. Do you have many applications requesting PHP 8.1 ?

Thanks,

root@ops:/# sudo /usr/share/php/passbolt/bin/status-report
PHP Fatal error: You must enable the gnupg extension to use Passbolt. in /etc/passbolt/requirements.php on line 31

I’m ok to update the default PHP-CLI to 7.4.

You can do it with

$ sudo update-alternatives --config php

You will have this, just choose the line number with php7.4 (it is 2 in the example below, can differ on your system):

There are 2 choices for the alternative php (providing /usr/bin/php).

Selection    Path                  Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/bin/php.default   100       auto mode
  1            /usr/bin/php.default   100       manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/php7.4        74        manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 2
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/php7.4 to provide /usr/bin/php (php) in manual mode

Thank You soo much sir my issue is solved Thanks alot again sir.

Cool, it solved your email problem ?