As an Android App user I can switch between apps, so that I can manually create a new password

Q1. What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
I would like to (manually) create a new password in the Passbolt Android App, where I

1. don’t need to re-authenticate and
  2. the already filled-in data in the ‘New password’ dialogue is not forgotten

When I switch between the Passbolt Android App and a browser app or any other app, the Passbolt Android App locks and asks for reauthentication (fingerprint). What is more, when I start a new password entry and switch between apps, the already filled-in information is lost (unless I save it and select it again for editing).

Q2 - Who is impacted?
I guess, everyone who enters a new password in the Passbolt Android App experiences this behaviour.

Q3 - Why is it important and/or urgent?
I guess, the user experience ‘easy password creation’ in the Android App would help the overall adoption of the app: I often find myself reverting to adding new passwords on a desktop (browser), which degrades the Android App to a viewer.

Q4 - What is your proposed solution? (optional)
Arguably the best user experience would be to allow the Android App to stay unlocked for some time (1min, 3min, ?) to be able to go back and forth without reauthentication. If this is a no-go (likely because of security considerations) then the App should ‘remember’ the state it was in, including filled-in information in the ‘New password’ dialogue.

3 Likes

@iiegn, thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns with us. To address your points:

1. We are currently exploring options to implement reauthentication customization for mobile users. While it may happen in the future, it involves lowering the security level, so we need time to carefully consider all available options.
  2. Rest assured, we have plans (internal ticket: MOB-1489) to address this issue in upcoming app updates.
1 Like