Issue with Sending Invitation Emails for Account Creation

[–] I have read intro post: About the Installation Issues category
[–] I have read the tutorials, help and searched for similar issues
[–] I provide relevant information about my server (component names and versions, etc.)
[–] I provide a copy of my logs and healthcheck
[–] I describe the steps I have taken to trouble shoot the problem
[–] I describe the steps on how to reproduce the issue

– Server operating system name and version ==> Debian 12
– Web server name and version ==> Apache
– Database server name and version ==> Mysql
– Php version ==> v8.2.7
– Passbolt version ==> 4.4.0

Hello Passbolt Team and Community,

I am experiencing an issue with my Passbolt installation regarding the sending of invitation emails for account creation. While test emails are successfully sent, the invitation emails seem not to be delivered. Here is a summary of the diagnostic steps I have followed and the results obtained:

1. SMTP Configuration: I am using smtp25.elasticemail.com with port 25 for email sending. The SMTP configuration details in my passbolt.php file are as follows:
  • Host: smtp25.elasticemail.com
  • Port: 25
  • Username: XXXXXXXX
  • Password: XXXXXXXXXXXX
  • TLS: false
  1. Test with Swaks: I used Swaks to send a test email from my Debian server, and it worked without any issues. Here is the command used and a brief description of the results:
  • Command: /var/www/passbolt_api# sudo ./bin/cake passbolt send_test_email --recipient=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
  • Result: Successful connection and authentication, and the email was accepted by the SMTP server.
  1. Test with Passbolt Shell: I also used the ./bin/cake passbolt send_test_email command to send a test email from Passbolt, and this was also successful. The test email was sent and accepted by the SMTP server.

Despite these successful tests, the emails for invitation to create an account are not being sent. No errors are apparent in either the server or application logs. The recipients have checked their spam folders, but the emails are not there either.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you might provide to solve this issue. Are there any additional steps I could undertake to diagnose or resolve this issue with sending invitation emails?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

Creatz

Hello @Creatz , welcome to our community :wink:

Really appreciate the amount of effort describing the context in order for us to have a clearer picture on the problem.

Could you try to initiate a recover and sends us the output of:

SELECT email, subject, error, created, sent FROM email_queue ORDER BY created DESC LIMIT 5;

That way, we’ll know if the email is correctly sent from the server or if there is any error.

Also, can you check the logs on your email server? Sometimes we’ve seen that recovery emails are blocked from the server and don’t appear in the spam or any other folders.

Hello,

I wanted to update you on the situation regarding the email sending issue I was experiencing with my Passbolt installation. I’m pleased to inform you that I have managed to resolve the problem.

Firstly, I executed the following command: ./bin/cake EmailQueue.sender. This successfully sent out all the emails that were pending in the queue. From this, I deduced that there was an issue with the CRON task.

Upon checking with the command /var/www/passbolt_api# sudo crontab -u www-data -l, I realized that there was no crontab set for the user www-data. Therefore, I proceeded to create a CRON task using sudo crontab -u www-data -e and added the following line to ensure regular execution:

*/1 * * * * /var/www/passbolt_api/bin/cake EmailQueue.sender

Now, everything is functioning correctly, and emails are being sent as expected.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the forum for the prompt response to my query and for the quality of the answers I found in various posts. Your guidance was instrumental in helping me diagnose and fix the issue.

Best regards,

Creatz

2 Likes