Mails not working, and I have no reports

Hi! I have a current installation that has stopped sending emails (I’ve recently upgraded Passbolt but I’m not sure if it could be related).

I’ve triple-checked the configuration file but nothing seems wrong. Crons are working, I’m launching the command manually, but the CLI doesn’t do or say anything.

Some weeks ago, if the email credentials were wrong I would receive an email to the running user notifying it, but now I don’t have any report.

Perhaps I’m missing something? Could it be a configuration error, or some kind of bug?

@plargomohe the command line display an error if there is one. Sometimes the smtp server also does not expose error messages so it’s not possible to display any (like when there is an authentication issue), but there might be information in the logs there. Sometime the error is further away in the delivery process so its not possible to display the cause of the issue.

Before the update, if there was any authentication error I would receive a local email

From root@srvpassbolt  Mon Dec 18 18:38:03 2017
Return-Path: <root@srvpassbolt>
X-Original-To: root
Delivered-To: root@srvpassbolt
Received: by srvpassbolt (Postfix, from userid 0)
	id 4E5AE2A23FA; Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:38:03 +0100 (CET)
To: root@srvpassbolt
Subject: Cron <root@srvpassbolt> /opt/passbolt/app/Console/cake EmailQueue.sender > /opt/passbolt/app/tmp/email.log
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/root>
X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=root>
Message-Id: <20171218173803.4E5AE2A23FA@srvpassbolt>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:38:03 +0100 (CET)

SMTP server did not accept the username.

Now (probably after the update) there are no messages

@plargomohe it looks to me some kind of authentication error where the smtp server fails silently. The mailing library have not changed in passbolt so there is no reason why errors messages would be intentionally suppressed after an upgrade.

I would say you could try:

• to use these smtp credential in a another system/service and see if they work
  • check the logs of the smtp server to see if there are authentication issues
  • try with another smtp server or a dedicate mail sending system like mandrill or sendgrid

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.