Unable to create a HA infrastructure for Passbolt

Checklist
[ x ] I have read intro post: About the Installation Issues category
[ x ] I have read the tutorials, help and searched for similar issues
[ x ] I provide relevant information about my server (component names and versions, etc.)
[ x ] I provide a copy of my logs and healthcheck
[ x ] I describe the steps I have taken to trouble shoot the problem
[ x ] I describe the steps on how to reproduce the issue

Hello,

For several weeks now, I’ve been trying in vain to create a high-availability infrastructure to run passbolt.

I would like to implement an infrastructure where the passbolt web frontend and database would be highly available as shown on this diagram.

To do this, I created two “front” servers. These use keepalived, and the switchover takes place from “front1” to “front2” in the event that passbolt’s url address is no longer accessible, or his ip no longer responds.

I’m having trouble getting my front-end servers to work properly. Even after configuring them with SSL certificates, then importing the GPG and JWT keys from the first server to the second, I’m encountering a number of problems, particularly after a keepalived switchover from the first “Front” to the second: unable to reconnect with the error message “unable to verify server keys”, or failure to recover my previously generated user GPG key.

• Generation of an SSL certificate based on the server’s domain name
  • Install Passbolt via wget (no local mariadb, install haveged, hostname=domain name, import previously created SSL certificate)
  • Modification of the “passbolt.php” file and modification of the “fullbaseurl” line with the IP address of the Keepalived virtual address.
  • passbolt web mode settings
  • Connection to existing database cluster
  • GPG key generation
  • email configuration
  • creation of first user
  • Arrival at Passbolt interface
  • Switch off first front-end server
  • Switch on second front-end server
  • Import SSL certificate from first front-end server
  • Install Passbolt via wget (no local mariadb, install haveged,hostname=domain name, import SSL certificate from first front server)
  • Modification of the “passbolt.php” file and modification of the “fullbaseurl” line with the IP address of the Keepalived virtual address.
  • Web-mode passbolt setup
  • Connection to existing database cluster
  • import of GPG key "serverkey_private.asc
  • email configuration
  • Arrival at Passbolt interface
  • Manual import of “serverkey.asc” GPG key from first front-end server

Faced with the problems described at the beginning of this topic, I tried to import the JWT keys from the first front-end server to the second. The only effect this had was to completely prevent me from accessing the passbolt interface with the following error message:

JHGNXNXGN

This is the healck of server front 1:

____                  __          ____
    / __ \____  _____ ____/ /_  ____  / / /_
   / /_/ / __ `/ ___/ ___/ __ \/ __ \/ / __/
  / ____/ /_/ (__  |__  ) /_/ / /_/ / / /
 /_/    \__,_/____/____/_.___/\____/_/\__/

Open source password manager for teams
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Healthcheck shell

Environment

[PASS] PHP version 8.1.27.
 [PASS] PHP version is 8.1 or above.
 [PASS] PCRE compiled with unicode support.
 [PASS] The temporary directory and its content are writable and not executable.
 [PASS] The logs directory and its content are writable.
 [PASS] GD or Imagick extension is installed.
 [PASS] Intl extension is installed.
 [PASS] Mbstring extension is installed.

Config files

[PASS] The application config file is present
 [PASS] The passbolt config file is present

Core config

[PASS] Debug mode is off.
 [PASS] Cache is working.
 [PASS] Unique value set for security.salt
 [PASS] Full base url is set to https://passbolt.xxxxx.int
 [PASS] App.fullBaseUrl validation OK.
 [PASS] /healthcheck/status is reachable.

SSL Certificate

[WARN] SSL peer certificate does not validate
 [WARN] Hostname does not match when validating certificates.
 [WARN] Using a self-signed certificate
 [HELP] Check https://help.passbolt.com/faq/hosting/troubleshoot-ssl
 [HELP] cURL Error (60) SSL certificate problem: self-signed certificate

Database

[PASS] The application is able to connect to the database
 [PASS] 31 tables found
 [PASS] Some default content is present
 [PASS] The database schema up to date.

GPG Configuration

[PASS] PHP GPG Module is installed and loaded.
 [PASS] The environment variable GNUPGHOME is set to /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg.
 [PASS] The directory /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg containing the keyring is writable by the webserver user.
 [PASS] The server OpenPGP key is not the default one
 [PASS] The public key file is defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php and readable.
 [PASS] The private key file is defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php and readable.
 [PASS] The server key fingerprint matches the one defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.
 [PASS] The server public key defined in the /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php (or environment variables) is in the keyring.
 [PASS] There is a valid email id defined for the server key.
 [PASS] The public key can be used to encrypt a message.
 [PASS] The private key can be used to sign a message.
 [PASS] The public and private keys can be used to encrypt and sign a message.
 [PASS] The private key can be used to decrypt a message.
 [PASS] The private key can be used to decrypt and verify a message.
 [PASS] The public key can be used to verify a signature.
 [PASS] The server public key format is Gopengpg compatible.
 [PASS] The server private key format is Gopengpg compatible.

Application configuration

[FAIL] This installation is not up to date. Currently using 4.4.1 and it should be 4.4.2.
 [HELP] See. https://www.passbolt.com/help/tech/update
 [PASS] Passbolt is configured to force SSL use.
 [PASS] App.fullBaseUrl is set to HTTPS.
 [PASS] Selenium API endpoints are disabled.
 [PASS] Search engine robots are told not to index content.
 [INFO] The Self Registration plugin is enabled.
 [INFO] Registration is closed, only administrators can add users.
 [PASS] The deprecated self registration public setting was not found in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.
 [WARN] Host availability checking is disabled.
 [HELP] Make sure this instance is not publicly available on the internet.
 [HELP] Or set the PASSBOLT_EMAIL_VALIDATE_MX environment variable to true.
 [HELP] Or set passbolt.email.validate.mx to true in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.
 [PASS] Serving the compiled version of the javascript app.
 [WARN] Some email notifications are disabled by the administrator.

JWT Authentication

[PASS] The JWT Authentication plugin is enabled
 [PASS] The /etc/passbolt/jwt/ directory is not writable.
 [PASS] A valid JWT key pair was found

SMTP Settings

[PASS] The SMTP Settings plugin is enabled.
 [PASS] SMTP Settings coherent. You may send a test email to validate them.
 [PASS] The SMTP Settings source is: database.
 [WARN] The SMTP Settings plugin endpoints are enabled.
 [HELP] It is recommended to disable the plugin endpoints.
 [HELP] Set the PASSBOLT_SECURITY_SMTP_SETTINGS_ENDPOINTS_DISABLED environment variable to true.
 [HELP] Or set passbolt.security.smtpSettings.endpointsDisabled to true in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.

[FAIL] 1 error(s) found. Hang in there!

This is the healck of front server 2:

____                  __          ____
    / __ \____  _____ ____/ /_  ____  / / /_
   / /_/ / __ `/ ___/ ___/ __ \/ __ \/ / __/
  / ____/ /_/ (__  |__  ) /_/ / /_/ / / /
 /_/    \__,_/____/____/_.___/\____/_/\__/

Open source password manager for teams
 Healthcheck shell

Environment

[PASS] PHP version 8.1.27.
 [PASS] PHP version is 8.1 or above.
 [PASS] PCRE compiled with unicode support.
 [PASS] The temporary directory and its content are writable and not executable.
 [PASS] The logs directory and its content are writable.
 [PASS] GD or Imagick extension is installed.
 [PASS] Intl extension is installed.
 [PASS] Mbstring extension is installed.

Config files

[PASS] The application config file is present
 [PASS] The passbolt config file is present

Core config

[PASS] Debug mode is off.
 [PASS] Cache is working.
 [PASS] Unique value set for security.salt
 [PASS] Full base url is set to https://passbolt.xxxxx.int
 [PASS] App.fullBaseUrl validation OK.
 [PASS] /healthcheck/status is reachable.

SSL Certificate

[WARN] SSL peer certificate does not validate
 [WARN] Hostname does not match when validating certificates.
 [WARN] Using a self-signed certificate
 [HELP] Check https://help.passbolt.com/faq/hosting/troubleshoot-ssl
 [HELP] cURL Error (60) SSL certificate problem: self-signed certificate

Database

[PASS] The application is able to connect to the database
 [PASS] 31 tables found
 [PASS] Some default content is present
 [PASS] The database schema up to date.

GPG Configuration

[PASS] PHP GPG Module is installed and loaded.
 [PASS] The environment variable GNUPGHOME is set to /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg.
 [PASS] The directory /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg containing the keyring is writable by the webserver user.
 [PASS] The server OpenPGP key is not the default one
 [PASS] The public key file is defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php and readable.
 [PASS] The private key file is defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php and readable.
 [PASS] The server key fingerprint matches the one defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.
 [PASS] The server public key defined in the /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php (or environment variables) is in the keyring.
 [PASS] There is a valid email id defined for the server key.
 [PASS] The public key can be used to encrypt a message.
 [PASS] The private key can be used to sign a message.
 [PASS] The public and private keys can be used to encrypt and sign a message.
 [PASS] The private key can be used to decrypt a message.
 [PASS] The private key can be used to decrypt and verify a message.
 [PASS] The public key can be used to verify a signature.
 [PASS] The server public key format is Gopengpg compatible.
 [PASS] The server private key format is Gopengpg compatible.

Application configuration

[FAIL] This installation is not up to date. Currently using 4.4.1 and it should be 4.4.2.
 [HELP] See. https://www.passbolt.com/help/tech/update
 [PASS] Passbolt is configured to force SSL use.
 [PASS] App.fullBaseUrl is set to HTTPS.
 [PASS] Selenium API endpoints are disabled.
 [PASS] Search engine robots are told not to index content.
 [INFO] The Self Registration plugin is enabled.
 [INFO] Registration is closed, only administrators can add users.
 [PASS] The deprecated self registration public setting was not found in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.
 [WARN] Host availability checking is disabled.
 [HELP] Make sure this instance is not publicly available on the internet.
 [HELP] Or set the PASSBOLT_EMAIL_VALIDATE_MX environment variable to true.
 [HELP] Or set passbolt.email.validate.mx to true in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.
 [PASS] Serving the compiled version of the javascript app.
 [WARN] Some email notifications are disabled by the administrator.

JWT Authentication

[PASS] The JWT Authentication plugin is enabled
 [PASS] The /etc/passbolt/jwt/ directory is not writable.
 [PASS] A valid JWT key pair was found

SMTP Settings

[PASS] The SMTP Settings plugin is enabled.
 [PASS] SMTP Settings coherent. You may send a test email to validate them.
 [PASS] The SMTP Settings source is: database.
 [WARN] The SMTP Settings plugin endpoints are enabled.
 [HELP] It is recommended to disable the plugin endpoints.
 [HELP] Set the PASSBOLT_SECURITY_SMTP_SETTINGS_ENDPOINTS_DISABLED environment variable to true.
 [HELP] Or set passbolt.security.smtpSettings.endpointsDisabled to true in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.

[FAIL] 1 error(s) found. Hang in there!

Do you have any ideas to help me? I’ve read in the following topics that this type of operation was possible for Passbolt, and was even used by the development team:

https://www.reddit.com/r/passbolt/comments/12s4xaf/passbolt_ha_cluster/

It is complicated to say without any logs of the requests that are failing.

One of the classic checks is that, are the servers and your client sync in time?

Hello

Yes both servers are synched with NTP and have the same hour.

What kind of logs can be interesting for you?

Ok, so you should have information in /var/log/passbolt/error.log about what went wrong with the request, nginx logs could be useful too.

OK, so there is the logs of Passbolt on the first front server. I have spot a problem in it:
The hour of the last error is 10:28:36, but in my country it’s 11:28 ans when i’m typing the command “date” on the server, it gave me 11:28. I dont understand why the hour is false only in logs

2024-02-05 10:28:11 error: The authentication failed.
2024-02-05 10:28:11 error: #0 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Controller/Controller.php(548): App\Controller\Auth\AuthLoginController->loginPost()
#1 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Controller/ControllerFactory.php(139): Cake\Controller\Controller->invokeAction()
#2 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Controller/ControllerFactory.php(114): Cake\Controller\ControllerFactory->handle()
#3 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/BaseApplication.php(320): Cake\Controller\ControllerFactory->invoke()
#4 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(86): Cake\Http\BaseApplication->handle()
#5 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Middleware/SecurityHeadersMiddleware.php(255): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#6 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Cake\Http\Middleware\SecurityHeadersMiddleware->process()
#7 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/HttpProxyMiddleware.php(50): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#8 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\HttpProxyMiddleware->process()
#9 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Middleware/CsrfProtectionMiddleware.php(138): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#10 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/CsrfProtectionMiddleware.php(39): Cake\Http\Middleware\CsrfProtectionMiddleware->process()
#11 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\CsrfProtectionMiddleware->process()
#12 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/JwtAuthentication/src/Middleware/JwtCsrfDetectionMiddleware.php(55): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#13 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\JwtAuthentication\Middleware\JwtCsrfDetectionMiddleware->process()
#14 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/GpgAuthHeadersMiddleware.php(40): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#15 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\GpgAuthHeadersMiddleware->process()
#16 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/Locale/src/Middleware/LocaleMiddleware.php(47): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#17 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\Locale\Middleware\LocaleMiddleware->process()
#18 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/MultiFactorAuthentication/src/Middleware/InjectMfaFormMiddleware.php(67): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#19 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\MultiFactorAuthentication\Middleware\InjectMfaFormMiddleware->process()
#20 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/MultiFactorAuthentication/src/Middleware/MfaRequiredCheckMiddleware.php(82): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#21 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\MultiFactorAuthentication\Middleware\MfaRequiredCheckMiddleware->process()
#22 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/authentication/src/Middleware/AuthenticationMiddleware.php(124): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#23 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Authentication\Middleware\AuthenticationMiddleware->process()
#24 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/JwtAuthentication/src/Middleware/JwtDestroySessionMiddleware.php(43): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#25 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\JwtAuthentication\Middleware\JwtDestroySessionMiddleware->process()
#26 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/SessionAuthPreventDeletedOrDisabledUsersMiddleware.php(46): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#27 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\SessionAuthPreventDeletedOrDisabledUsersMiddleware->process()
#28 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Middleware/BodyParserMiddleware.php(162): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#29 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Cake\Http\Middleware\BodyParserMiddleware->process()
#30 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/SessionPreventExtensionMiddleware.php(66): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#31 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\SessionPreventExtensionMiddleware->process()
#32 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/ApiVersionMiddleware.php(46): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#33 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\ApiVersionMiddleware->process()
#34 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/UuidParserMiddleware.php(52): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#35 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\UuidParserMiddleware->process()
#36 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/JwtAuthentication/src/Middleware/JwtRouteFilterMiddleware.php(47): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#37 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\JwtAuthentication\Middleware\JwtRouteFilterMiddleware->process()
#38 /usr/share/php/passbolt/plugins/PassboltCe/JwtAuthentication/src/Middleware/JwtAuthDetectionMiddleware.php(58): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#39 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Passbolt\JwtAuthentication\Middleware\JwtAuthDetectionMiddleware->process()
#40 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Routing/Middleware/RoutingMiddleware.php(187): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#41 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Cake\Routing\Middleware\RoutingMiddleware->process()
#42 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Routing/Middleware/AssetMiddleware.php(77): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#43 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Cake\Routing\Middleware\AssetMiddleware->process()
#44 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/SslForceMiddleware.php(52): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#45 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\SslForceMiddleware->process()
#46 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Error/Middleware/ErrorHandlerMiddleware.php(131): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#47 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): Cake\Error\Middleware\ErrorHandlerMiddleware->process()
#48 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/ContentSecurityPolicyMiddleware.php(39): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#49 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\ContentSecurityPolicyMiddleware->process()
#50 /usr/share/php/passbolt/src/Middleware/ContainerInjectorMiddleware.php(54): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#51 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(82): App\Middleware\ContainerInjectorMiddleware->process()
#52 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Runner.php(67): Cake\Http\Runner->handle()
#53 /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Http/Server.php(90): Cake\Http\Runner->run()
#54 /usr/share/php/passbolt/webroot/index.php(40): Cake\Http\Server->run()
#55 {main}

That’s all you have on the logs?

1 Like

As a result of our numerous tests and manipulations, our two front-end test servers have become so “unstable” that we no longer trust them.

We’re going to start again from a clean slate and set up two new front-end servers. In your opinion, is the procedure for installing an HA passbolt cluster as shown on my diagram and described in my first post correct?

Are you still using this type of infrastructure for your Passbolt instance?

Hi,

The cluster as shown in your diagram should work as expected. But you should setup also a redis cluster to handle PHP sessions.

By default, PHP stores sessions locally and in case of a server switch, users will be disconnected because of missing php sessions.

Cheers,

Hello and thank you for your answer!

I have red on the internet that a redis clsuter is necessary if e dont want the user to refresh their session to get back a working passbolt page after a server switch. But our passbolt is gonna be used by few advanced users so i think isn’t absolutly necessary. Am i right?

So now i have completely remake my two front servers and it work well: when there is a switch between the servers, i need to refresh my browser in order to get a new passbolt session back.

I have few questions:

• Passbolt documentation told that we need to backup database, both GPG keys, JWT keys, licence key and passbolt.php file. In a HA cluster configurationn there is other things to save in ordre to be able to rebuild the infrastructure if a disaster happen?
  • I have heard about “GPG expiration”. What it exactly mean? It mean that one day my passbolt server will tell my to rotate the keys? There will be an impact?
  • In my new infrastructure, i haven’t copied the JWT keys of the first server to the second, but everything works well. What is the purpose of JWT keys in passbolt?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Redis is not strictly necessary if you are only using this setup as a failover mechanism. The problem would be that your users will be kicked out of their sessions when you failover to the new server. However if you have redis that would be better, for sure.

JWT keys are used to authenticate users on mobile devices for example. So if you don’t copy them basically it will happen like if you don’t use redis, you’ll need to authenticate with the new JWT key.

Ok tank you for the info !

We have a last issue with our HA infrastructure. The dabase for passbolt is host in a galera cluster. Each node is replicated and thank to keepalived, we have created a virtual ip address in order to be able to contact our cluster even if a node fall.

In order to use our galera setup with passbolt, i have put the virtual ip address of the galera cluster during the graphical setup of both front servers. My problem is that Passbolt run smoothly when all the nodes of the galera cluster are up, but if one node go away, passbolt become unreacheable. When i try to access to the web interface, i can just see the passbolt logo and the sentence “please wait”.

I have ran the following command on the front running passbolt

2024-02-06 09:20:25 error: Could not connect to Database.

So why despite the fact Passbolt only know the the virtual ip address of my galera cluster, the fall of one of them can forbid Passbolt to use the other nodes? Did you already encounter this kind of issue?

Have a nice day !

That should not be a problem but with this little information it is hard to say.

Try to connect using mysql command line to the database when passbolt reports connection problems to identify if the issue is related with lower layers rather than with passbolt itself.

Hello !

We have found the cause of our issue: The HAproxy in front of our galera cluster had an incorrect setting: the check script checked database status on port 3306, when it should have checked on port 3304. We added the following line to our HAproxy configuration:

default-server port 3334 inter 2s downinter 5s rise 3 fall 2

Now our highly available passbolt installation is working perfectly, thanks for your help!

1 Like