What's with all the routing exceptions?

This is a new installation of a public-facing server. Whenever I check logs they are filled with routing exceptions like:

2024-06-05 03:11:52 error: [Cake\Routing\Exception\MissingRouteException] A route matching "/ReportServer" could not be found. in /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Routing/RouteCollection.php on line 248
 Request URL: /ReportServer
 Client IP: 162.243.144.29
 2024-06-05 05:02:22 error: [Cake\Routing\Exception\MissingRouteException] A route matching "/robots.txt" could not be found. in /usr/share/php/passbolt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Routing/RouteCollection.php on line 248
 Request URL: /robots.txt

At first I thought these were due to some configuration error that I missed. But after looking closer, my new theory is this is how routine hostile Internet probes are reported in nginx / Passbolt / Cake (all of which are new to me). I’m pretty confident on this one but thought it worth asking.

If my assumption is correct, and since this is an Amazon AMI and all my users are in one neighborhood, I think I can modify my security group to filter out non-US IP addresses which will cut down drastically on these logs.

Yes you are getting scanned basically: CrowdSec Console

1 Like

Thanks, and thanks for the pointer to CrowdSec which looks like a great resource I didn’t know about.

1 Like