Extension google chrome not detected when using passbolt api v2

hi, when i go to http://xxx.xx.xx.xx/auth/login? It asks me to install the plug in and I proceed to install it once the extension has been added, I go back in and it asks me again to install the plug in

Hi @fabiovega :wave: and welcome to Passbolt community forum :handshake:

It is an old bug who has been fixed, are you running the last Passbolt version ?

And also which Chrome version are you running ?

Best regards,

Hi I have the same exact issue.
Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hi @andgatt :wave:

Which Passbolt version are you running ? You can mouseover the heart at the bottom right of the Web UI to know it.

Best,

Hello !
I have the same issue.
The passbolt version that I am using is the 3.4.0, (while the last tag on the repo Releases · passbolt/passbolt_browser_extension · GitHub is the 3.3.1).
And I am using chrome version 90.0.4430.72 (Official Build) (64 bits).

PS: The passbolt browser app is the one coming from here: Passbolt - Open source password manager - Chrome Web Store

Starting from the version 3 of the API when you don’t have the passbolt extension or the extension is not configured you should see this screen:

If you are running an API below the version 3, you can trigger the recovery process by going to the /users/recover URL

1 Like

Thanks @max for the answer.
But I am seeing a screen that is only offering to download and install the plugin. (While it is installed and present in the extensions of my browser). Sooo, I am in neither cases. ^^’

I checked on firefox, and I don’t have this issue, everything works as previously. It is only present with chrome.

EDIT: Another colleague tested, and it is not working neither on firefox, nor on chrome.

Can’t give you the version as since I have the extension installed it is showing to install again. Can’t access passbolt.

My issue is fixed…
It was just a matter of using the correct link with the token in it, instead of trying to directly access the passbolt instance. :man_facepalming:
Sorry for my noise.

1 Like

I’m also having this same issue, chrome Version 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

removed and added passbolt

localhost:9099/auth/login asks for plugin to be installed even though it is.

Clicking the plugin in the extension bar just takes me to your homepage.

@Matt11 If you are running an API v2.x with the latest browser extension, this is an expected regression. The home page of the application has evolved and the legacy API v2.x home page doesn’t display the link to recover your account anymore.

You have 2 options:

• You can go to https://localhost:9099/users/recover and request a recovery token. You will then receive an email with a link to follow to initiate your account recovery.
  • You can update your API to the latest version, the online documentation is complete and will guide you step by step: Passbolt Help | Upgrade

A post was split to a new topic: Extension not loading with chrome

Same issue seems happening now.

I’m using Passbolt Chrome Extension v3.5.0.
Yesterday (2022 Mar 20) Chrome updated to 99.0.4844.82, and I cannot login to my admin account.
I tried to recover, but it stuck at the extension checking page.

I have the extension. It kept asking me to install the extension and refresh.

Any thing I can do?

Hi @leon :wave:

Did you try to clear your browser cache and cookies ? => chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

Thank you for your feedback,

Best,

2023 June,

Having the same issue here with the initial installation.
I am trying to login with the Admin account with no joy.

Chrome version: 114.0.5735.134 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Firefox version: 114.0.2 (64-bit)
PassBolt: latest docker version
Php: 7.4.33.

Tried:

• Clearing cache and everything from chrome - Unsuccessful
  • Removing and adding the extension again - Unsuccessful
  • Using the URL generated from bash when creating the user - Unsuccessful
  • Using the login when opening the site and adding the email address to receive a confirmation - Email received, stuck on the same extension error - Unsuccessful
  • Checked User cannot signing after v3.6 upgrade - Docker and I only have 1 instance.

Please can someone advise? Thanks.

Healthcheck report:

Healthcheck shell                                                                                                                                                                                          
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                             

Environment                                                                                                                                                                                                

[PASS] PHP version 7.4.33.                                                                                                                                                                                 
 [PASS] PCRE compiled with unicode support.                                                                                                                                                                 
 [PASS] The temporary directory and its content are writable and not executable.                                                                                                                            
 [PASS] The logs directory and its content are writable.                                                                                                                                                    
 [PASS] GD or Imagick extension is installed.                                                                                                                                                               
 [PASS] Intl extension is installed.                                                                                                                                                                        
 [PASS] Mbstring extension is installed.                                                                                                                                                                    

Config files                                                                                                                                                                                               

[PASS] The application config file is present                                                                                                                                                              
 [WARN] The passbolt config file is missing in /etc/passbolt/                                                                                                                                               
 [HELP] Copy /etc/passbolt/passbolt.default.php to /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php                                                                                                                               
 [HELP] The passbolt config file is not required if passbolt is configured with environment variables                                                                                                       

Core config                                                                                                                                                                                                

[PASS] Debug mode is off.                                                                                                                                                                                  
 [PASS] Cache is working.                                                                                                                                                                                   
 [PASS] Unique value set for security.salt                                                                                                                                                                  
 [PASS] Full base url is set to https://MYURL                                                                                                                                      
 [PASS] App.fullBaseUrl validation OK.                                                                                                                                                                      
 [PASS] /healthcheck/status is reachable.                                                                                                                                                                   

SSL Certificate                                                                                                                                                                                            

[PASS] SSL peer certificate validates                                                                                                                                                                      
 [FAIL] Hostname does not match when validating certificates.                                                                                                                                               
 [WARN] Using a self-signed certificate                                                                                                                                                                     
 [HELP] Check https://help.passbolt.com/faq/hosting/troubleshoot-ssl                                                                                                                                        
 [HELP] cURL Error (60) SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'MYURL'   

Database                                                                                                                                                                                                   

[PASS] The application is able to connect to the database                                                                                                                                                  
 [PASS] 30 tables found                                                                                                                                                                                     
 [PASS] Some default content is present                                                                                                                                                                     
 [PASS] The database schema up to date.                                                                                                                                                                     

GPG Configuration                                                                                                                                                                                          

[PASS] PHP GPG Module is installed and loaded.                                                                                                                                                             
 [PASS] The environment variable GNUPGHOME is set to /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg.                                                                                                                              
 [PASS] The directory /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg containing the keyring is writable by the webserver user.                                                                                                    
 [FAIL] The server OpenPGP key is not set                                                                                                                                                                   
 [HELP] Create a key, export it and add the fingerprint to /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php                                                                                                                       
 [HELP] See. https://www.passbolt.com/help/tech/install#toc_gpg                                                                                                                                             
 [PASS] The public key file is defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php and readable.                                                                                                                          
 [PASS] The private key file is defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php and readable.                                                                                                                         
 [FAIL] The server key fingerprint doesn't match the one defined in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.                                                                                                             
 [HELP] Double check the key fingerprint, example:                                                                                                                                                          
 [HELP] sudo su -s /bin/bash -c "gpg --list-keys --fingerprint --home /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg" www-data | grep -i -B 2 'SERVER_KEY_EMAIL'                                                                  
 [HELP] SERVER_KEY_EMAIL: The email you used when you generated the server key.                                                                                                                             
 [HELP] See. https://www.passbolt.com/help/tech/install#toc_gpg                                                                                                                                             
 [FAIL] The server public key defined in the /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php (or environment variables) is not in the keyring                                                                                    
 [HELP] Import the private server key in the keyring of the webserver user.                                                                                                                                 
 [HELP] you can try:                                                                                                                                                                                        
 [HELP] sudo su -s /bin/bash -c "gpg --home /var/lib/passbolt/.gnupg --import /etc/passbolt/gpg/serverkey_private.asc" www-data                                                                             
 [FAIL] The server key does not have a valid email id.                                                                                                                                                      
 [HELP] Edit or generate another key with a valid email id.

Application configuration                                                                                                                                                                                  

[FAIL] This installation is not up to date. Currently using 3.12.0 and it should be v4.0.2.                                                                                                                
 [HELP] See. https://www.passbolt.com/help/tech/update                                                                                                                                                      
 [PASS] Passbolt is configured to force SSL use.                                                                                                                                                            
 [PASS] App.fullBaseUrl is set to HTTPS.                                                                                                                                                                    
 [PASS] Selenium API endpoints are disabled.                                                                                                                                                                
 [PASS] Search engine robots are told not to index content.                                                                                                                                                 
 [INFO] The Self Registration plugin is enabled.                                                                                                                                                            
 [INFO] Registration is closed, only administrators can add users.                                                                                                                                          
 [PASS] The deprecated self registration public setting was not found in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.                                                                                                        
 [WARN] Host availability checking is disabled.                                                                                                                                                             
 [HELP] Make sure this instance is not publicly available on the internet.                                                                                                                                  
 [HELP] Or set the PASSBOLT_EMAIL_VALIDATE_MX environment variable to true.                                                                                                                                 
 [HELP] Or set passbolt.email.validate.mx to true in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.                                                                                                                            
 [PASS] Serving the compiled version of the javascript app.                                                                                                                                                 
 [WARN] Some email notifications are disabled by the administrator.                                                                                                                                         

JWT Authentication                                                                                                                                                                                         

[PASS] The JWT Authentication plugin is enabled                                                                                                                                                            
 [PASS] The /etc/passbolt/jwt/ directory is not writable.                                                                                                                                                   
 [PASS] A valid JWT key pair was found                                                                                                                                                                      

SMTP Settings                                                                                                                                                                                              

[PASS] The SMTP Settings plugin is enabled.                                                                                                                                                                
 [PASS] SMTP Settings coherent. You may send a test email to validate them.                                                                                                                                 
 [WARN] The SMTP Settings source is: env variables.                                                                                                                                                         
 [HELP] It is recommended to set the SMTP Settings in the database through the administration section.                                                                                                      
 [WARN] The SMTP Settings plugin endpoints are enabled.                                                                                                                                                     
 [HELP] It is recommended to disable the plugin endpoints.                                                                                                                                                  
 [HELP] Set the PASSBOLT_SECURITY_SMTP_SETTINGS_ENDPOINTS_DISABLED environment variable to true.                                                                                                            
 [HELP] Or set passbolt.security.smtpSettings.endpointsDisabled to true in /etc/passbolt/passbolt.php.                                                                                                      

[FAIL] 6 error(s) found. Hang in there!  

Currently trying to fix the errors mentioned in the health check report.

when you removed and readded the extension did you do that directly from the extension manager page?

If so try removing the extension, going to the URL and clicking the download extension button on the page from your screenshot

This is exactly how I did it without any joy. The extension installation page returned soon after.
I run the healthcheck and for some reason the latest docker image pulled v3 instead of v4. I will check with v4 if this happens and will update the query.

For some reason the docker:latest downloaded v3. I started with a fresh install specifying v4 and it solved the issue.

1 Like