Is there a way to activate users without access to emails?

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have searched for a means for the administrator to “Activate” user accounts given the scenario where the email notification seems to be erratic (one moment it may send an activation email to registered users and then (most times) it does not.

Postifix is installed on the same server and emails when sent by command line always reach their destination (with the exception of Microsoft obviously with its Big Brother email “control disguised as filtering unknown servers”) . So it should not be a Postfix or config issue as TLS originally failed in the “Passbolt.php” file settings so reverted to simple port 25 and that sent a few email notifications but behaved erratic.

Thus, my question is is there an “override” factored in the application where the administrator could manually “activate” a user account? even if it is not in the GUI is there a specific file one can make the code change?

I hope someone is able to assist as this is a challenge as the admin should be able to override things just in case.
Thanks
Fuquan

==========================
Checklist
[ ] I have read intro post: About the Installation Issues category
[ ] I have read the tutorials, help and searched for similar issues
[ ] I provide relevant information about my server (component names and versions, etc.)
[ ] I provide a copy of my logs and healthcheck
[ ] I describe the steps I have taken to trouble shoot the problem
[ ] I describe the steps on how to reproduce the issue

Hello,

If you do not have access to emails or emails delivery is not working properly, like it seems to be the case for you, you can also create users using command line.

./bin/cake passbolt register_user -i

This will then give you the link to complete the setup which you can give to your end user.

See also.

Dear Remy,

Thanks for the prompt feedback: part 2 of your feedback resolved the account creation (using the command line) so that is a relief: However, I am still challenged with the first part of getting the Email configuration in Passbolt setup correctly: In the file “passbolt.php” I have tried various setting such as below: I have tried without TLS but I keep getting the Open SSL Cert failure (see bottom of email):
When I try without tls then I get the "…trying to connect to non TLS SMTP server …error (also see below:

Would you or anyone else know what exact settings should be filled in in the “passbolt.php” file?

Thanks Fuquan

// Email configuration.
    'EmailTransport' => [
        'default' => [
            'host' => 'localhost',
            'port' => 587,
            'username' => '',
            'password' => '',
            // Is this a secure connection? true if yes, null if no.
            'tls' => true,
            //'timeout' => 30,
            //'client' => null,
            //'url' => null,
        ],
    ],
    'Email' => [
        'default' => [
            // Defines the default name and email of the sender of the emails.
            'from' => ['admin@localhost' => 'admin'],
            //'charset' => 'utf-8',
            //'headerCharset' => 'utf-8',

ERROS:
With tls = null:

Warning Error: stream_socket_enable_crypto(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:

error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in [/var/www/passb

olt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Network/Socket.php, line 479]

2020-10-02 11:22:51 Warning: Warning (2): stream_socket_enable_crypto(): SSL operation failed with code
  1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in [/var/www/passb

olt/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Network/Socket.php, line 479]

WITHOUT TLS set to TRUE:

Trace

A test email could not be sent.

Error: Connection refused

Hi @Fuquan doesn’t your email server (which you have noted as being local) have a username and password? The email account you are trying to reach at port 587 which sends out the email…it’s credentials go in the username /password fields. If you do not have an account with credentials, then you probably just need to comment out those fields, change back to port 25 and comment out tls since the connection is local.

It’s the postfix settings that need to change in order for email to not get filtered. That’s not related to passbolt.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.