No user creation during install

Checklist
I have read intro post: About the Installation Issues category
I have read the tutorials, help and searched for similar issues
I provide relevant information about my server (component names and versions, etc.)
I provide a copy of my logs and healthcheck
I describe the steps I have taken to trouble shoot the problem
I describe the steps on how to reproduce the issue

Hello,

I have a problem installing Passbolt on a Debian server. During installation, I connected to an existing database and used locally generated SSL certificates.

At the end of the installation, I’m redirected to a page asking me to enter an e-mail address, but I haven’t been able to create the first user. When I enter my e-mail address, I receive an account recovery e-mail (even though this is my first connection) which redirects me to a web page asking me to enter my GPG key (which I don’t have, since this is my first connection attempt…).

I’ve installed passbolt before, and never had this problem. I have the impression that having specified to use an already existing database has created a bug that has removed the step of creating the first user during setup.

Would you know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Hello @Zoulman welcome to our community! :wink:

I’ve installed passbolt before, and never had this problem. I have the impression that having specified to use an already existing database has created a bug that has removed the step of creating the first user during setup.

Was it on the same server? Indeed I already saw a similar issue when mysql wasn’t properly deleted, if you don’t have any data and you are starting from scratch I’ll recommend to start the installation again, but you can run:

sudo apt purge passbolt-ce-server
sudo apt autoremove --purge
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/passbolt/
sudo rm -rf /etc/mysql
sudo rm -rf /etc/php/

Then, starting the installation again, it should fix the issues because I think that it is still trying to reach the old database. However, be cautious with this manipulation as it assume that there is no data from the previous installation left.

If you want to keep your data, I’ll recommend a backup and migrate to a new Debian 12 server is always the best options as you’ll have a vanilla server.